➟ 35. somewhere, somehow

*this chapter contains mature content*

...THE MORE THINGS SEEM TO CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME.

_________

A FEW DAYS HAVE PASSED since that fateful rain-soaked reunion on the side of the road in Maranello. Time had been kind to Charles and Andie, granting them the opportunity to reconnect, heal, and reaffirm their love for each other. The Leclercs were finally settling into a sense of normalcy, learning to balance the demands of racing with the even more hefty demands of raising their baby and caring for the one on the way.

Quality time became their currency, and laughter their shared language.

They reveled in the simple pleasures of life—long walks on the Monegasque coast, leisurely breakfasts with Cami giggling in her highchair, and late-night conversations that stretched into the early hours of dawn. They knew that rebuilding their relationship was like reconstructing a finely tuned race car; it required patience, precision, and dedication.

But they also acknowledged that some parts of the engine needed fine-tuning.

That's why it's already become a routine for them to attend therapy. Dr. Dumont, with her compassionate guidance, helped them navigate the potholes and roadblocks that had accumulated over the years. In those sessions, they learned to communicate their feelings more openly and to understand each other's perspectives better. It was a crucial pit stop on their journey to a healthier relationship.

_________

Charles stirs in his sleep, gradually awakening to the soft sounds of Cami's giggles. He blinks away the slumber from his eyes, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Ciao, amore."

Andie stands at the foot of their bed, holding Cami in her arms. Their daughter, now a bundle of joyous energy, wriggles with excitement. With one swift movement, Andie places Cami onto the mattress, and their little one starts to crawl, exploring this newfound territory.

Charles smiles as he watches Cami's tiny hands reach out, her curious eyes examining every corner of the bed. He props himself up on his elbows, marveling at how quickly their baby girl was growing.

But then, as Cami explores her surroundings with enthusiasm, she unknowingly delivers an unexpected wake-up call.

"Papa!"

With a gleeful giggle, she swings her tiny leg in the air, and before anyone can react, her small foot lands squarely in a rather... sensitive area for Charles.

Ouch.

A sharp, involuntary intake of breath escapes him as he recoils in pain, his eyes wide with shock. Andie bites back an amused snort, but the corners of her mouth twitch with amusement at the unexpected turn of events.