➟ 33. backmarkers

a/n: long chapter ahead! nearly 15k words 😭 but i swear it isn't as gut-wrenching as the previous ones... think of this as the penultimate chapter 'til the dust settles 🥹 hold on tight for a lot of emotions *hides behind a rock*

 think of this as the penultimate chapter 'til the dust settles 🥹 hold on tight for a lot of emotions *hides behind a rock*

JUST CLOSE YOUR EYES,
THE SUN IS GOING DOWN.

_________

HE PACES BACK AND FORTH along the suffocating halls of the hospital, the silence of the white walls taunting him, belittling him.

Thank God Cami wasn't around to witness any of the things that have spiraled out of control that day...

His busted lip was throbbing but the pain was nothing compared to the guilt clawing at him, each step echoing his own self-reproach. He had let his anger, jealousy, and frustration push Andie to the brink, and now, he might have nearly lost both her and their unborn child. The weight of it all crushes him, and he wishes he could turn back time.

Finally, the doctor, a middle-aged woman, emerges from the OR, an unreadable expression on her face. Charles rushes over to her, desperation etched into every line of his face.

"Doctor, how is she? Is... is the baby..." His voice trembles with worry.

The doctor, shifts to a calm demeanor, meets his gaze with a mix of sympathy and professionalism, "Mr. Leclerc, I'm relieved to inform you that both your wife and the baby are okay."

Relief washes over Charles, but he can't help but feel a lingering tension... "But?"

"I'll have to be frank with you then... the main concern now is the high risk of complications, such as the development of preeclampsia should Mrs. Leclerc continue to strain herself." The doctor continues in a somber voice, "Preeclampsia can cause severe high blood pressure, damage to organs like the liver and kidneys, even affect the baby's growth, and... at times, the loss of both the mother and the child. We'll need to closely monitor her for the rest of her pregnancy to ensure her and the baby's well-being. She'll require regular check-ups and bed rest."

Charles feels like the heavy weight that lifted from his chest just seconds ago  has just settled back within it.

...at times, the loss of both the mother and the child.

The doctor's words underscore the gravity of the situation, and he knows that this is all his fault.

"I... I understand." He stammers, his voice heavy with guilt, "Is there anything I can do to help her? Anything at all?"

The doctor nods, offering a reassuring smile, "Of course, your support is essential, Mr. Leclerc. Be there for her, reduce her stress as much as possible, and encourage her to follow the prescribed bed rest and medications. We'll do everything we can to ensure a safe pregnancy, but it will require cooperation from both of you."