➟ 19. paying it forward

*this chapter contains mature content*

a/n: i told myself i'd limit each chapter to 4-6k words because those long-ass chapters feel too long when i look back on them 🤡 but... oh well. im really sorry to those who have peeves about long chapters 😭 just take breaks if u guys need it cuz this 12.7k words 🥲

" now, you might want to be more careful about throwing that name around with so much spite

" now, you might want to be more careful about throwing that name around with so much spite. "

_________

THE FIA KNEW EXACTLY WHAT they were doing when they put a certain Ferrari driver and a certain Red Bull driver together for the driver's conference. The reporters will surely have a field day with this set-up for sure... though one thing was peculiar.

Andie and Charles sat on either ends of the couch with Lewis, Esteban, and Lando in between them.

With a few minutes before the conference, everyone was still settling down: the media looking for their seats, the organizers ushering lost photographers, and stage-hands handing the drivers their microphones. In the midst of that, Lando took notice of how far apart Andie and Charles were seated from each other and decided to poke his nose into that.

"Hey, Nic..." He tapped her shoulder, "Are you and Charles good?"

She cocked a brow in slight confusion, "Of course. Why?"

"I just thought you two would've preferred to sit next to each other, that's all."

Andie let out a lighthearted laugh, "We're not middle-schoolers, Lando. And did you just happen to forget this is the assigned seating?"

Lando blew raspberries, "Not assigned seating—rather, suggested seating."

"Let it be, Norris." She passively dismissed his notion to sit beside Charles on the other end.

The two conversed for a little more until the press conference had finally commenced. The first few questions were for Lewis and Lando then the attention started going to Esteban. The media were saving the best for last as it seemed.

And when they got to that part on their agenda, Charles was the first up.

"Charles, first off, it would seem that even if the qualifying and the race hasn't started yet, a congratulations is already in order." The reporter opened with a little smile, eliciting small laughter from all around the room, "You must be ecstatic. How has your attitude towards this weekend's been affected? Do you feel your focus has shifted?"

This also caused Charles to glance over to Andie, sending a cheeky wink her way.

"Thank you very much. I can confirm that I'm indeed very happy right now even if nothing's really happened yet." Charles replied and trailed off, "I already had a taste of a podium finish last night so..."