➟ 04. losing balance

"I want to make this work with you

"I want to make this work with you."

_________

"YOU HAVE TO STOP BEING SO distracted, Andie. What's going on with you?" Cass, Andie's athletic coach, snapped his fingers in front of the young driver's face as she was caught in yet another trance during her training session.

Andie blinked twice before regaining her focus once more, "Sorry..."

Tomorrow was finally Free Practice day. Meaning, it was only a day until the first race weekend of the season and the drivers needed that extra conditioning to get themselves in prime shape. The two Ferrari drivers have been in the hotel gym for about three hours already and was nearing the end of their little bootcamp. Knowing that she was almost done, Andie continued with her bicep curls with the ten-pound weights and tried her best not to let her mind fly elsewhere again. She just had a lot on her plate lately.

The personal trainer folded his arms on his chest, wondering why she was acting odd that day. Little did he know that it all started with the gala a few days ago. While she was able to introduce herself to most of the drivers and even strike up some casual friendships here and there, what was bothering her the most right then was her relationship with her own teammate. Andie really thought they started having things sort themselves out on the plane to Bahrain but things just seemed to have plummeted back to square one after the party.

She knew he was distancing himself from her again and she felt like he wanted her to know that.

So there he was, on the other side of the gym with his own trainer, Andrea. He was doing floor exercises for his arms and core strength. He wasn't oblivious to Andie's stares from across the room but he wasn't minding her either... He wanted to somewhat prove to himself that he could go a day without having her occupy a bulk of his attention again. Charles had to focus on giving the team the best results with every chance he gets behind the wheel—starting with making sure he was more than physically prepared to withstand the extreme Gs he was soon to face.

"Bravissimo, Charles." Andrea applauded his pupil for finishing the strenuous exercises two minutes ahead of time, "Now, get up and rest for a bit then you go on ahead to the treadmill."

"Okay." The exhausted Monégasque was able to utter that one word in between his breaths as he sat up.

He took this time to wipe the sweat off his face with his towel and wait for his heart to calm down. He then started glancing around the gym mindlessly, noticing just then that it was practically empty besides two other random people, himself, Andie, and their two trainers. He wondered why it was like that. That day was specially reserved for all the drivers and their conditioning before the weekend. Charles expected to see more racers in the gym.

He stood up from the ground and picked up his water bottle from the side, taking a sip from it, having his eyes land at his teammate from across the room. She was doing chin ups on the bars situated by the free weights area. She was finishing with her reps and when she actually did, she jumped and landed back on the ground, evidently trying to catch her breath. That was when Cass started talking to her and she tiredly smiled, nodding.