109: Get out

He stopped mid-walk and then continued without a word, heading upstairs. She watched, her heart pinching a little as he climbed the stairs towards his girlfriend. Ha-Eun rushed up to him, her arms wrapping around his waist. Amber stared as the girl leaned forward, tiptoeing to press a kiss to his lips.

Amber turned, her head whipping around to look away. Damn it. Why the hell was she looking? Amber bit back a curse, pulling her tote bag over her shoulder. Screw JieMi. He may have helped her once but inside he was still the same damn asshole she hated.

She better keep it that way.

Her classes ended late in the morning and she exited campus hungry and sleepy.

Amber stumbled weakly onto the bus, slumping into a seat at the back. Having slept less than 4 hours that day, she was more than ready to fall into her bed at Ezra's place and maybe consume a bucket of fried chicken after that nap.

She checked her messages on the bus ride home, her head pressed against the glass panels as she read. The panels were cold on her cheeks and they helped to keep her drooping eyes from closing.

Hikaru had, surprisingly, agreed that she could stay at Ezra's for a while. At least until he bought or rented a home for her to stay in. He promised they would look for one together soon once his schedule cleared up a little.

Her lips twitched, grinning as she read. Apparently his father had scolded him for his actions, berating him for 'controlling' her. In his words, Hikaru had gotten his ass handed to him by his father and now he was feeling seriously guilty over his reaction to her.

She huffed, letting a puff of amusement escape her nostrils. She was surprised that Hikaru had apologised and come clean to her like that without even hiding his mistakes behind pride.

Not many could actively say sorry and admit their wrongdoing easily, especially when faced with an issue that they felt strongly about. It showed her just how much Hikaru wanted their relationship to work. Something, she wasn't really upholding on her part.

She didn't want to think about that again. She closed her eyes tiredly, then opened them again to swipe through her messages. Oliver was flirting with her with flowery words. Sieon was begging to kiss her again. A smile flickered across her lips at that, warmth flickering in her chest.

Her life had finally encountered a positive turn, and she was happy despite all the shit tossed her way. She was sure her Ezra would come around soon. It might take a bit more to pry through his barriers, but she knew she could do it as long as he let her.

She stepped off the bus and headed towards the back gate entrance of the condominium. It was a matter of minutes before she was outside of Ezra's home, her eyes still glued to her phone. She slid her finger over the panel, scanning her thumbprint quickly out of habit.

A denial. The cheery technical voice chimed out a pitchy 'please try again.'

She blinked. Her brows furrowed as she slipped her phone into her pocket, needing the extra hand to fiddle with the lock. She slid her thumb over the panel again. Another denial. What? She tried again only to fail. She bit her lip, nibbling on the edges. Did the system crash? A reboot perhaps? She checked her phone for the security number and turned on the keypad, typing it in.

Password has changed! Please key in the new password.

She stared, stared at the lock pad, confused. That couldn't be true right? Hold on, she wasn't being a dumbass and standing at the wrong—Her heart raced in her chest, thumping hard as her eyes swept over the postal code.

She wasn't at the wrong house. She cocked her head to the side, her fingers hovering over the bell. Nah, Ezra wouldn't have locked her out, would he? Still, something within her guts swelled and burned with worry, her chest stinging with something that warned her.

It warned her that something was amiss. She fished out her phone, her fingers swiping through her contacts to check Ezra's number. He was online.

Just before she could press the call button, the door unlocked and the familiar scent wafted over her. The smell of spicy mint and soft summer rain, musky with his masculine tang. Her sensitive nose twitched and she inhaled, detecting the soft sweetness of something else on his skin. Amber blinked her eyes flickering to meet Ezra's.

He stood with a huge white shirt draped over his lean frame, a pair of sweats hanging lowly on the deep lines of his bony hips. The fabric clung to his frame, thin and flimsy it hugged his legs, bulging at his cock. His bleached hair brushed back to reveal his pale forehead.

The fluffy locks were messy and ruffled as if he had just woken up from bed and had violently rolled around in the sheets. He looked tired, with deep purple eye bags that were puffy and a little swollen from lack of sleep. The red and purple shades were a stark contrast on his milky skin.

He was as sexy as always, her Ezra, with that brooding aura and handsome face.

Her heart filled, fluttering pathetically in her chest at the sight of him. She'd forgotten just how much she had missed him. Forgotten how much he appealed to her body and heart.

But there was something about his eyes. She had seen those eyes in all of their forms. Brimming with lust, filled with fear, thrumming with warmth, acceptance, need. Now those eyes were cold, piercing sharp and almost...Annoyed.

The coldness in his gaze frightened her and she swallowed back the greetings on the tip of her tongue. Her happiness at seeing her soulmate fizzling out as she stared at him, confused.

She couldn't see the familiar kindness in those dark eyes, couldn't see the spark of humour, the light when they met hers. That warmth. These eyes were new and they masked his feelings like a steel wall that guarded his fortress.

She was not welcomed and Amber knew that without speaking to him.

"Hey," she said softly, her voice stiff in the silence.

The wind blew behind her, howling loudly and painfully. It just made the situation seem even more awkward, emphasising on the steely atmosphere. For a moment, she caught a flicker of something in his eyes but it disappeared as quickly as it came. A spark of light in that swallowing darkness.

He turned and she watched, her eyes widening as he dumped her suitcase on the doorstep wordlessly. The clatter of wheels on the steps shocked her, and her body flinched, wincing at how roughly he handled her items.

He threw the suitcase as if it were trash.

"Get out," he spoke, his voice cold and soft.