IX. PREP SCHOOL APPROVED

Madison stood inside of Coach's office, fiddling with her hands. She was waiting for Stiles and Isaac to come back with Kira, Scott using the time they were gone to explain to Madison what was going on.

"The one that's been killing everyone—not the mute, the student. The killer's on the lacrosse team, Stiles saw the pattern of the stab wounds matched with the pattern of the bottom of the school's lacrosse sticks."

"The killer's on the team? Do you guys have any leads?" Madison asked, leaning forward to get closer to Scott. He shook his head as Madison groaned.

"Great. We're all going to die." She huffed and put her head in her hands to dramatize her actions.

"Nope. We're here to look at the bottom of the lacrosse sticks to see if we can find a match." Scott stated proudly as Madison looked at him.

"You mean we're going to look at dozens upon dozens of sticks to see if we can find one tiny dagger? You do realize that most people have their own equipment too, right?"

"It's worth a shot. Anything we can do to save a life, we're doing."

"I don't know, Scott..." Madison said, before Scott placed his hands on her shoulders.

"Madison, no one is going to die. I promise. No more death." Scott said, looking into her eyes as his own flashed red. Madison smiled as she took in his words.

"I would flash my eyes back at you, except I don't really have any cool colored eyes, so..."

Scott chuckled and took his hands away from Madison, although he continued to stand protectively in front of her in case anyone caught them and got them into trouble. The door squeaked, Madison peeking out from behind Scott, the door opening to reveal the other juniors.

Scott had decided they would split up around the room and take off the bottom off the sticks, and if they each covered an area, it would get done faster.

"I swear you guys are going to get me suspended. It's nearly noon and I haven't attended a single class." Madison complained. It's not like she chose to go to class, even if she had the option. She was simply tired, taking out her annoyance on the four freshman.

"You're right. This...this is pointless." Stiles replied as Scott rolled his eyes, trying to explain his point of view.

"Most of the team plays with their own gear."

"If none of us think this is a good idea, why are we even doing it?" Isaac asked, knocking his knuckles as they grew sore.

"Maybe instead of trying to find a lacrosse stick with a hidden dagger in it, we should be trying to get the game canceled?" Kira asked, Madison snapping her head towards her and clapping.