XXVI. THE END OF THE BEGINNING

"How bad is it?" Peter's voice echoed through Madison's ears. She could hear faint ringing, her head spinning as she looked at Derek and applied pressure to his wound.

Braeden stood above Madison, giving the two some space. Malia, Stiles, Isaac, and Liam had joined together, the four standing in a clump as they eyed Madison and Derek. Tears filled her eyes as she bit her lip to keep them from flowing.

"I'm fine! I'm fine, just...get to Scott." Derek groaned out, his eyes closing in pain as he brought his legs to his chest.

"Derek..."

"Just find him. We'll be right behind you." He assured, though Madison held firm.

"No, I'm not leaving."

"Madi, you have to. Please." Derek pleaded, confusing his winced of pain.

"Derek..." Madison said, her hands covered in blood as Derek looked at her. His eyes were soft, nodding to say it was okay for her to go.

"Go."

"Derek, no."

"Go!" Derek shouted, wincing as he groaned.

Braeden put a hand on Madison's back. The witch looked up with tears eyes, and Braeden crouched downwards so that they were eye level.

"He'll be okay, Madison. You have to go, you need to find Scott and Kira with the others."

Madison nodded, running a hand through her hair as her lip quivered. Out of everyone, she never thought she would see Derek so vulnerable, so hurt and in pain. Derek was always the one that Madison looked up to, and he was always a shoulder for her to cry on.

"Derek, I promise I'll be back, okay? Everything's going to be fine," she told him, although her shaky hands and the lump in her throat said otherwise.

Madison stood up, her back turning as she gave Derek one last look. Stiles waited for Madison as the others headed inside with Peter.

"Hey...hey, save him." Derek told the two, Madison wiping the tears that rolled down her cheeks as she nodded.

"Yeah. Come on," Madison said the Stiles, the pair running into the building to catch up. She gave the infamous Sour Wolf one last glance, every inch of her hoping that it wouldn't be her last.

Madison trailed behind the other teenagers, who were following Peter. The pit in Madison's stomach held strong, the witch tense as she hesitantly followed behind. Madison couldn't help but shake the feeling that someone in the group didn't have the best intentions, and it wasn't hard to tell who.