XXXVII. STATUS ASTHMATICUS

"What do you mean, 'no'?" 

"Madison, look at her. She's too weak, it'll kill her. We don't even know what the mercury's doing to her." Scott explained, though his words went in one ear and out the other as Madison growled.

"We don't even know if it is actually mercury. This can't be the only way to save her life."

"It saved mine." Liam said, defending Madison's point as he stood behind her.

"You know that was different. You were hanging off of a ledge."

"You promised. You said you'd do everything you could."

"Which is why I'm not going to do something I think is going to kill her."

"God, Scott, do you even think anymore? You've driven everyone away! Isaac's gone, Malia's gone, Lydia's gone, even Stiles is gone! The pack is falling apart, and contributing to someone dying isn't exactly helping." Madison seethed.

"There has to be...there has to..." Scott couldn't finish his sentence as he began to wheeze. Madison looked to Liam in worry and confusion.

"Scott." Theo said, handing Scott an inhaler as Madison eyed the unfamiliar medicine.

"There has to be another way to save her."

"Guys, I don't know what the statistics are for surviving a werewolf bite, but she's definitely not surviving this. We need to do something."

***

Madison had gone home that night with Liam. She thanked Theo for his help, and made sure to glare extra harshly at Scott on his way out.

Liam had stayed the night with Madison, after the witch came home to an empty house and nearly broke down.

It wasn't the fact that the apartment was empty. It was the fact that once the apartment used to be so full of life. When she had her parents, her sister, and Isaac.

Now, the halls were empty, void of life and stripped of its happiness.

Luckily, Liam had noticed Madison's off behavior a he dropped her off at the front door, inviting himself in and spending the night there.

The two had taken a shower, Madison careful as she scrubbed around the open wound that had yet to heal.

When the two had gotten back in Madison's bed, the witch had rested her head on Liam's chest.