XI. BETA'S JACKET

XI. BETA'S JACKET

"I talked to Coach. I'm out for the rest of the game." Liam spoke to the group.

After Brett's injury, the game had called for a temporary break. The pack, aside from Malia and Lydia, were huddled in a circle by the benches. Stiles had left for a moment, and Madison stood between Liam and Isaac as she held Isaac's gloves, fiddling with the material.

"What are you going to do?" Kira asked.

"I don't know. Something's still not right. We're missing something." Scott replied.

"Guys. Lydia just broke another third of the list."

"Am I on it?" Liam asked.

"Am I?"

"No, but someone else is," Stiles said, looking at the group in worry. Madison moved past Isaac to rest her head on Stiles' shoulder and read over his phone.

"Brett Talbot?"

"Yeah. We can't leave, Madi. You have to check what's going on and try to see if you can stall until the game's over." Scott told her, Stiles nodding as she agreed with their plan.

"Stall a murder? How convenient." Madison retorted with a roll of her eyes. She looked back to see Mason and felt terrible for leaving him alone.

She had noticed that the girl, whose name she had learned to be Violet, also left him. Before she had time to think, she felt Liam tap her on the shoulder with a worried look.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to, you know. It's your call." He spoke, Madison swallowing thickly as she nodded.

"No, no. I got this."

"If you don't die, you can keep the scarf." Isaac joked, nudging her playfully with a smile. Madison chuckled as she turned to him with a grin. "Thanks."

"See you guys never if I die!" She chirped, ruffling Stiles' hair and waving the group goodbye as she headed to find Brett.

Madison had narrowed her eyes, tiptoeing down the school hallways. She wasn't sure where she was going, but she assumed that Brett would be in the boys' locker room.

Her feet trailed quietly by the door, where she heard a choking sound. She quickly looked to see Brett with a rope around his neck, and Violet was behind him with a crazed look in her eye.

"Hey!" She shouted, using her magic to push Violet back with a gust of wind. She watched as her back hit the wall as she groaned and laid against the locker room tile.

Madison took this as a chance to try and help Brett up, but once she walked towards him, she noticed his unconscious state and winced. She knew the wolfsbane alone wasn't enough to kill him, but she worried that his weak state would prevent him from healing.