XXXVI. LIES OF OMISSION

It had been five days. Five days since Madison found out the news. She was a mistake. A supernatural mistake that could kill everyone she loves.

Madison had distanced herself. Not in a way that she ignored her friends, just...she didn't talk as much. She didn't feel the need to add a comment every time someone spoke, and didn't feel random rushed of excitement that left her squealing with joy.

She talked to the pack only if it was supernatural related. She spent her evenings reading up on anything she could find. Reading on how to slow the change from witch to werewitch, how to avoid the Dread Doctors coming back.

Isaac promised he would help her, but the older beta barely gave Madison time of day anymore. So instead Madison asked Theo. The werewolf would always offer to help, and the two spent hours awake at night flipping page after page in books that either could barely understand.

Madison was beginning to find friendship and comfort in Theo. He was there for her, he was helpful. Not like Isaac's recent behavior, always slipping out to spend time with Malia, and Madison wouldn't even see him come home late at night.

She knew Isaac and Malia were planning something. She's often hear whispers of Braeden, the desert wolf. The two barely spoke anymore, and Madison was slowly beginning to feel more and more alone.

It hurt the witch to see Isaac distance himself in such a way, especially with keeping such a secret from her. But Madison had to admit she wasn't exactly being all too honest either.

The Dread Doctors had come back for Madison, the witch too afraid to tell anyone of their recent visit. Madison had come home from school to find the Dread Doctors in her bedroom.

The witch didn't even care anymore, simply locking her door and giving herself up, biting back tears as the Dread Doctors moved to experiment on more of her body.

Her neck had healed, not even a scar left in its trace. The Dread Doctors figured she was healing faster, so they injured her more, in hopes that she would soon become invincible. A creature of destruction at their disposal.

Madison walked around with a nasty gash on her hip, covering it in layers of bandages and gauze and hoping no one would notice or ask. And they didn't.

The only person Madison was herself around was Liam. To be fair, he was also the only one who wasn't aware of Madison's 'new status' as a potential werewitch. She would tell him, she just didn't know when. But with him, Madison didn't feel the need to put on a stoic act, and Liam brought out the best in her.

Hayden and Corey were doing okay. Madison hadn't gotten the chance to speak much to either, or if she did she kept the conversation short and turned the other way.

Madison wasn't doing it to be cruel or mean. She was doing it because she was afraid her presence would bring back things to the people around her. She couldn't risk them getting hurt, it would be all her fault. She was the Harbinger of Doom, after all. It was written in the stars that whoever came close enough to her never got a happy ending, and Madison had enough examples for it to be proven true.