XXV. SMOKE AND MIRRORS

"You are not going to Mexico." Noah hissed, slamming the door to his office after he ushered the two teenagers inside.

Madison had had a very rude awakening. Stiles had broken into their apartment, ripping Madison's duvet off of her bed as he poked her forehead until she woke up. After she had gotten ready, which may or may not have included her smacking his across the head, Stiles had driven her to the Sheriff's station.

He explained that he needed to go to Mexico, and the only person he was interested in bringing was Madison. He asked Malia at first, but she said she wouldn't go unless he got one other person to say yes. Now, all he needed was his father's permission, which he was currently attempting to reach.

"Dad, Scott and Kira have been kidnapped and taken to Mexico, okay? I think that's a pretty good reason for a trip to Mexico."

"You can't argue with him there, Noah."

Noah stared at Madison and blinked slowly. He placed his hands on his desk, sighing for a moment as he tried to think of a more reasonable plan.

"Even if Deaton is right about this," he began, his voice a low whisper, "the best thing to do is to go through the proper channels-"

"Dad-" Stiles interrupted, his hand slamming against the back of the chair in distress.

"That means calling the right law enforcement agencies, border patrol, putting out an all-points."

"Dad, we can't just wait around for the wheels of bureaucracy to start spinning in five different government offices. Okay? Someone needs to go down there right now, find them, and rescue them."

"I'm going," Madison decided, with it without Stiles. She wasn't sure where her father was, so she ultimately permitted herself.

"Do you want this adorable little thing," Stiles started, gripping Madison's shoulders as he spun her around, "to go to Mexico all by herself to her death?"

Madison frowned.

"I'm not gonna die-" Her lips were met with Stiles' pointer finger promptly shushing her.

"You do know I can keep you from both going." Noah said, his eyebrows raised as Madison placed her hand on her hips.

"We'd find a way," Stiles bragged. Madison slapped his arm, not wanting to give the Sheriff any ideas.

"I can throw you in a cell."

"We'd still find a way."