XLII. THE SWORD AND THE SPIRIT

"Who found them?" Stiles asked as he came out of the elevator.

Madison, Scott, and Kira followed behind as they approached the sheriff and the deputy. The six watched body bag after body bag get wheeled into the morgue, the foul smell stinging Madison's nose.

After Liam and Mason had gone home, Stiles had called the three to accompany him to the hospital.

Madison agreed, and after convincing Scott and Kira to let her come with them, ten minutes later here they were.

"Argent," Stilinski replied, Madison's head peeking up at the name," he said the Doctors were down there. He also said you guys might know what this thing is."

"We've got a theory." Scott explained.

"It's a slightly terrifying theory." Stiles added, Madison nodding along in agreement.

The werewitch had mentioned the beast to Scott and Stiles after the initial attacks, afraid that if they didn't know they couldn't protect themselves.

After giving the theory some thought, it seemed to be the pack's most reasonable guess so far. It made sense—or as much sense that could be made in such a far fetched situation.

"Well, the M.E. said that the victims were killed somewhere else and then dumped in those tunnels."

"Hey, what if the Dread Doctors are hiding the bodies?" Scott wondered after a moment.

"Why would they do that?" Kira questioned.

"Maybe they're covering for it." Stiles suggested after a moment or two of silence. Madison could hear the uneasiness dripping from his tone, making her tense.

"Protecting it like a parent would." She figured after a moment, Stiles nodding his head in confirmation.

"Protecting what?" The Sheriff probed, eyebrows furrowed as Madison sighed.

"A werewolf."

"It's called 'The Beast." Kira said, "we know. Terrifying." Stiles added.

"We better figure out what we're gonna tell Parrish. Because it looks like his dream is coming true."

***

After attending classes normally, Madison had spent her entire morning with Hayden. She hadn't had any classes with Liam, which the werewitch didn't particularly like, but she also hadn't seen Theo yet which was a pleasant surprise.

Liam had been clouding Madison's mind all morning, the werewitch feeling butterflies swarming her stomach every time she thought of him.

Their first 'I love you' replayed in her mind, Madison biting back a dopey smile every time she thought of it.