7

The next day Thomas and Grey went to the site where the shipment was expected on the 25th. It was a big parking place behind a factory which was completely empty. After checking out the place they took some photos of the critical spots, where they could be while they were watching. There were two close ones where the dealers would probably also stand their guards and three other buildings. They were a little further away, but they could serve as perfect observing spots if they could get empty apartments on the front side. In the meantime, Katherine was checking out the other side of the street, where they could park their van with high-tech microphones. They were getting so good that even the slightest whisper were easy to understand.

When they finished, they shared their findings with Damon, who started to plan the setting for the next day. Later they took part in the briefing. The main goal of the mission was to bust the people who take part in the business. They would have to wait until the drug was shipped, then their units were to go in and arrest the ones there. The three of them were placed together with one experienced agent on the top of the furthest building. It was not in the middle of the action, but it was their first mission, so it was not surprising. Their job was to deliver information about the guards around and to take photos as evidence. It was pretty standard.

Later that day they went back to Katherine's where Grey cooked, as he promised. Damon joined them for a while as well. The menu was nothing special, only mashed potatoes with chicken breasts. As Katherine asked, no decoration, no Christmas music, although Grey was humming "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer" while cooking, and no presents. And as they were scheduled on lookout from 4 AM, they decided to toast with apple juice. Damon said a few words and thanked them that they volunteered for work even though it was Christmas.

After Damon left, Grey went into the guest room to call his family. Kathrine was sitting in an armchair, while Thomas was sitting on the couch tapping on his phone. He locked the phone and put it next to him.

"Aren't you gonna call your family?" Katherine asked.

"Nope. I sent them messages wishing them merry Christmas," Thomas answered.

"Not a family person?" she asked.

"Not that family," Thomas said. "Aren't you gonna call someone?"

"There is no one to call," she shrugged. "I am a foster kid, you know. My foster mom died two years ago."

"I am sorry," Thomas said.

"It's okay. I got used to being alone," she said.

"And then you decide to spend the holidays with the home invaders," Thomas laughed.

"Yeah, it made me second-guess my future decisions," she laughed.

They went to the meeting point at 4 AM, got their equipment and took their position on the top of the building. Thomas felt sleepier than ever, Katherine looked slightly more energetic, but Grey was like a child on Christmas morning. Thomas hasn't seen him that way since all those super important games in high school. Sitting next to someone being so purely excited, he couldn't help smiling at him, and as the sun came up and the streets got alive, all three of them were as awake as they could ever be on a cold winter morning.. They got their binoculars and started reporting.

They were lucky, the parking place which was empty the day before began to get full of cars. Men stood at the entrance with guns, and they checked the cars before they let the newcomers in. Katherine and Grey were checking out the rooftops and the buildings next to the parking lot. They were able to quickly spot five guards. Other four were reported by another team. Thomas focused on something different.

"Agent Hopkins," Thomas said. "Three of them are coming our way. On the street at three o'clock. They left the parking lot, and they are coming directly to this building."