twenty-nine

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
if tomorrow never comes • kent blazy & garth brooks

The year was drawing to a close. The snow had begun to melt off the ground, meaning that within the next few weeks, Adalindas time at Hogwarts would be coming to a close. Also meaning she would have to pledge full allegiance to The Dark Lord. A few weeks earlier, Dumbledore's army had been disbanded, leaving many with weeks worth of detention and threatened expulsion. By chance, Adalinda had missed the meeting and got off without trouble, meaning she had the free time to stir mischief in the twin's place. Now, Umbridge was headmistress and the school had gotten even worse than it had been already.

It was already OWL and NEWT season, meaning that if those not in an exam weren't studying, they were doomed. Addy had been on a study break, roaming the halls in attempt to clear her mind. She didn't need her NEWT's, but she still had the undying urge to please her parents. She was walking through the entrance hall, looking out at the grounds and watching lower years sit in the peaceful weather. She had an unsettled feeling in her stomach, wishing she had a little more time at Hogwarts. The seven years flew by and left her feeling nostalgic as she reminisced. This was the place where she was most free, avoided her parents eye, and fell in love with the sweetest boy she had ever met. One obsessed with mischief, fun and had a heart made only for love. Whenever she though of Fred, she got a warm feeling in her chest. She didn't think it was possible to love another person the way she did with him.

With a sigh she ran her hand over a stone windowsill, blowing the dust off her fingertips. She hoisted herself up and sat, keeping a keen eye on the outdoors. Hagrid's hut, the black lake, the Quidditch pitch - it was all overwhelming now that it was over. She didn't understand the effect the school had on her until it was falling from her grasp. She sat, mulling in her thoughts for a while. She thought about her first year, being sorted into Slytherin and the proudness she felt. She thought about the power she used to hold, how it almost revolted her now. Memories of Adrian, the Tri-Wizard Tournament, Cedric Diggory, and those first memories of sneaking around with Fred, before even George knew what was going on.

She felt a tear fall from her eye. Would the world ever be the same as it was before? Would they lose this fight? She didn't want to focus on negatives, but it was hard not to sometimes. In a world with ever-growing darkness, it was all you could think of sometimes. She knew if this war was lost, Fred and herself wouldn't make it out alive. That was a chilling idea that she never could shake. She would die for what she believed in, but she didn't want to see anyone else lose their life, especially him. When she was over thinking of the worst outcomes, she sat for another moment, just focusing on the sun outside. It warmed her in the window and took the nervous symptoms away slightly. She heard footsteps behind her but didn't have the heart to look away and find out who it was. Though she didn't have to - when she felt a familiar hand on her knee, she knew it was Fred.

"Hello Gorgeous," He said gently "what are you up to on this fine day?"

"Oh you know, just sitting around and waiting for you to come and look for me." She joked.

"Good thing I finally came around then, innit?"

"I suppose so." She reached her hand up and placed it to is cheek, giving him a warm smile. He had a wonderful way of making the fear disappear. She pulled his face down, giving him a kiss on his forehead. "What might you be doing instead of studying for your NEWT's?" She questioned.

"Well, that's actually what I came to find you for." He paused, lifting her legs to sit under them on the windowsill. "George and I have been doing some thinking." He stated.

"That's always good." She said sarcastically.

"Shut it,' He laughed "we've decided that the detentions we've been having every night are a load of dung." She nodded in agreement. "Also, we have come to the conclusion that we actually don't need our NEWT's." She processed his words for a moment, getting an idea of what he was getting at.