one

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
little lies • fleetwood mac

Kings Cross Station was packed with children. Eager first years were jumping with anticipation. Their family's eyes showed worry behind them. The second years looked less enthusiastic, but still so, nonetheless. Each year following, the novelty wore off. In a corner by the wall, stood the Malfoy family. Sixth year Adalinda, and fourth year Draco crowded their parents. Lucius and Narcissa stood beside them, making the children assure them they had everything they needed. The mother of two had a loving hand on her daughters shoulder. Lucius was paying attention to his son, whilst the women spoke with her daughter.

"You're ready?" The older woman's voice chimed in the young girls ears. "This year is a big year, don't fall behind. Just because it's not an O.W.L or a N.E.W.T. year, doesn't mean you don't have to study hard." All of her hardness disappeared when she was around her mother. She felt like a child, one who needed to be reminded of what to do. "You did exceptional last year, all O's. We expect the same thing this year." The child nodded her head.

"Of course, mum." She couldn't look her in the eyes. She didn't want her mother to see the fear in her gaze. Deep down, her parents made her nervous. Whenever she was around them, she felt a vulnerability she didn't experience with anyone else.

"Looks like your boyfriend is here." Narcissa nodded her head in the distance. Adalinda looked up to see Adrian Pucey walking towards them, his parents in tow.

"He's not my boyfriend, mum." She muttered, catching his eyes.

"Not yet, anyway." She sighed. "Eventually, you'll learn." Narcissa pulled her daughter into an embrace that held love. This was much different than the one her father would give her. "Tie your tie, you look untidy." Her mother scolded. She ignored the words. It was rare the piece of cloth was ever in a knot. It was a statement: showing she was in charge of herself. Everyone hated it, especially her professors and her parents. As the conductor called the all aboard, the young girl finally met her mothers eyes. "I love you, Addy. I'll see you in the summer." She kissed her daughters head.

Lucius turned away from Draco, pulling Adalinda into an embrace. It was cold and didn't hold any emotion. She was used to this. "Behave yourself, and keep your morals in the front of your mind." He broke from her, speaking slowly. She knew what was coming at the years end. She knew what would be done. "Don't let anything slip." He whispered, placing a finger under her chin. He raised her face to meet his. "Make that relationship official, and do what it takes to keep the boy happy. The Dark Lord will be content to hear of another pure-blood relationship." He whispered. With that, she turned and walked away. Her shorter sibling was racing to catch up to her. She ignored him, as per usual.

She climbed aboard the train with authority in her steps. The clicking of high heels against the ground sent a chill down everybody's spine; they knew exactly who it was. Her platinum blond curls cascaded down her dark sweater, standing prominently. Her knee-length black skirt danced with the movement of her legs. The green and silver tie flowed loosely down her neck. It was left unknotted and draped over her shoulders, as per usual. The heel's added inches onto her already tall and slender figure. Her piercing blue eyes held power. Her highlighted cheekbones cut like daggers.

If the students couldn't recognize Adalinda Malfoy by her stunning features, they could definitely recognize her by the crowd of Slytherins that pursued her. Adalinda was a name of power within their school. Derived from old high German name, it held a meaning of 'serpent' or 'noble snake'. This went hand in hand with her younger brother, Draco's name. His had similar context. Although from the same family, Draco Malfoy received much less respect and adoration than she. As the eldest born, she was most wise and was thought to be the strongest. She possessed minimal emotion compared to her sibling: she was angry less, quiet often, and judging always. Draco was quick to spit his words; she was calculated, driven, smart, and cunning. A true Slytherin. She thought Draco belonged in Hufflepuff, a house that she thought the sorting hat put the dense and inferior. She was almost ashamed she held the same title as her brother.