four

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
attention • charlie puth

The grounds were lighted by the illuminating sun rays in the sky. The green grass was turning an earthly brown in patches. The warm September air was about to begin turning brutally cold. Outside within the premises of the front doors, Adalinda sat with her back against the brick of the building. A book laid open on her lap as she rested. She was trying her best to soak up the last bit of Vitamin D she could before the year succumbed to the winter months. She was alone for once. It was nice not to be crowded by the usual group she was caught up in. It had been weeks since they started their new year at Hogwarts. In the time being, Addy's parents were happy to receive notice that her and Adrian were now officially in a relationship.

She shifted in her position, letting her body stretch. She heart cracks of discomfort as she let her legs extend. The Saturday was calming. There wasn't much to do in their free time anymore. With quidditch being cancelled, they had nothing to do but wait for the arrival of the other schools. The pages of her novel tumbled in the wind. She kept a steady hand on the book to ensure she would keep her place. The angry purple fingerprints on her arm turned to a dull yellow, almost gone. The two had no more incidents since the common room. They were getting along fine. In the distance from her, if she looked up, she could spot the Weasley Twins shooting Whiz-Bangs back and fourth to each other. On her right, a couple of Hufflepuff girls were chattering away. Down by the lake, some young Slytherin's were watching the ripples in the water.

It was calming to her, seeing everybody go about their business. She felt a little more grounded when she was outside of the castle. Life wasn't as confusing and she could breathe without a weight on her shoulders. Sitting under the trees and the clouds made her feel small, in time with the earth. It made her realize that not everything was about who was the most powerful. She closed her book and looked off. As a silhouette against the tree line, she could see the almost identical sets of ginger hair. Almost, being the key word. She could tell the difference between the two. They didn't have much physical differences, but mentally they did. She found George Weasley more boyish, and Fred more girl-crazy. Fred was a little bit quieter, but when he spoke he always had something smart to say. His sarcasm was a prominent feature. George, although alike, was a bit louder and faster on the draw of his words. The boys may not have known, but she payed attention to them. She knew of them. She knew things about many students in their school, despite not speaking to them. Adalinda was an observer at heart. She watched everyone but gave away little about herself.

Little did she know, as she watched them, Fred had his eyes on her. As she looked down at her reading, he glanced past his brother to catch sight of her face. This caused him to miss a few of the fireworks his brother threw at him. When George finally got fed up with Fred's inaccuracy, he turned around to see what he was looking at. It took him by no surprise when he saw the Slytherin girl propped against the stone of the castle. He gave a sigh of exasperation at Fred's new found infatuation with the Malfoy girl.

"Fred, I told you! You have to give this up. Whatever these feelings you've gotten, get rid of them! She's a Malfoy, and girls like that don't go for guys like us." George chimed as he turned back to his brother. To add fuel to his fire, he realized Fred wasn't even paying attention to him. He was still drooling over her sitting in front of them. "You git." He shot a firework at his head and it nipped him on the forehead. Fred winced and gave a sound of surprise.

"Oi, you tosser!" Fred shouted back, erupting at his brothers actions. "What the hell's gotten into you!" At the sudden commotion, Fred noticed Addy lifting her eyes to meet them. She had a look of amusement dancing on her lips. Fred wished he was close enough to see the sparkle in her eye. "Hey, keep it up. She's watching us." Fred whispered to his brother. George rolled his eyes.