sixteen

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
i miss you • blink-182

Birthdays are supposed to be a time of celebration. Happiness, gifts, everything that would brighten your mood. July eleventh used to be the same in the Malfoy Manor. From Addy's birth to sixteenth birthday, it was joyous and upbeat. This year, things were slightly darker. It was a normal celebration, but she knew there was something bigger behind it. Her seventeenth birthday marked her independence as a witch. She was allowed to freely do magic, apparate, and truly became a member of society. Her relationship with her parents had been rocky since she returned from her sixth year. They were still off about her broken relationship with Adrian Pucey. She abstained from telling them the real reason they were no longer together. It would come out eventually, but she wanted to do it in her own time. She was uncomfortable with the thought still, his cruelty hadn't fully digested in her mind.

She woke up that morning unaware of what the day was. At first, it didn't even occur to her. She went upon her daily morning routine. Showered, her hair and makeup, and picked out an outfit. Something that covered her arms. When she finished, she stepped into the living area. Her family gathered around, cheering as she stepped out. She was surprised, unsure why they were so excited. Her mother bustled over to her, pulling her into an embrace. "Happy birthday, my love." She kissed her cheek. Addy sighed in relief, finally understanding the situation. She gave a smile; something that was rare lately. "We have breakfast ready for you, come." She ushered her into the kitchen. When she got inside, she noticed balloons and decorations littering the inside. Her favourite meal was made, and the smell of cake still lingered.

"Thank you, I appreciate this." She sat in her usual seat as her father took the head of the table. Her mother took the opposite end and her brother across from her.

"You're welcome, dear. Eat up before it gets cold." Her mother said happily. They indulged in the entire spread of food. It reminded the girl of what a feast at Hogwarts would be like. They finished soon after they started, not sharing much chatter. "Some family friends will be over to visit later, I want you two to look presentable." Narcissa said, standing. "Now, we have some things for you. The owl flew in with some mail for you, too, dear. It's in the other room, you can grab it later." She said, walking over to a counter. She pulled out a neatly wrapped package and a few smaller bags. "There is a few things, but this year is a big year. You've done so well, and you've made us nothing but proud over the years."

"There was less than few mishaps over your your life. You've brought us pride to have you as a daughter, and you deserve the best. Your grades we exceptional and your loyalty to this family has been proven." Lucius leaned forward in his chair. "You amaze us every day with your strength and your drive for success. I'm sure you will continue to work towards greatness." He finished.

"Thank you, Dad." She smiled. Her mother sat her group of presents in front of her. She pulled a small box back, meaning she wanted it opened last. She dove into the first bag, finding it filled with candy from Honeydukes. Her favourites, as always. It was tradition they always filled a gift with sweets for their children. It was a lighter, more adolescent present. She opened another, finding a new dress. When she pulled it out, she fell in love. It was black, suiting the family style. It was simplistic, but beautiful. It was short, but held long sleeves that fell off the shoulder. The top was tight fitting but the skirt was flowing. It held a slight shimmer.

"Thank you, this is beautiful." She admired.

"Keep going." Her father gave a slight chuckle. She did, grabbing the box. She unwrapped it, finding a few things. A pair of diamond earrings, a bracelet crested with emeralds, and a bag of galleons. "The galleons are to put in your vault. We figured you'd open one soon, now that you're of age." She smiled at the gesture.