ten

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
take me to church • hoizer

"You are pathetic!" His words hit her hard. She quivered at the sound. Not once in her life had she ever been called that. "You were the one who wanted to fix this, yet you continue to be the problem!" The echoes bounced off the astronomy tower walls. This is where they came to fight. It was secluded, so nobody would hear. Not many people travelled up to that part of the castle. She cowered at his raised hand as he shouted. "All I do is cater to you, love you, and you can't even show a bit of respect to me." His volume lowered as he finished.

"Adrian, if you'd let me explain-"

"You don't have to explain anything! I know exactly what kind of person you are. As soon as I turn my back, you're all over Marcus like he's the one who has to put up with you all of the time!" Tears had fallen down her face, but not at his anger. They were tears of pain at the belittlement she was feeling. Adalinda had never felt as small as she did in that moment. She was shivering in fear. "And you're sitting here crying like you're the victim!"

"I wasn't 'all over' Marcus! I was helping him with his homework!" She raised herself, finding a power to fight back. She would not stand and be punished by a man with no power. "You just can't stand the thought of me talking to another boy!" A slap sounded in the room. It was so powerful it knocked her off her feet, but her physical shock could not match the mental stun it gave her. She was on the floor, placing gentle fingers to her sensitive cheek. She could taste blood in her mouth. It was like everything in the room froze. As soon as his hand came in contact with her, she could only think of the gentle touch of Fred Weasley. She thought about how he never could even dream of laying an angry hand on her.

"Adalinda, I am so, so sorry." Adrian was down by her side within seconds. She stared blankly past him, looking at a wall on the other side of the room. She picked a focal point so she wouldn't cry any more than she already had. "I didn't mean to, it was a mistake." He pleaded, trying to get her attention. Her ears were abuzz with ringing. Her face ached. "I love you, and I would never want to hurt you. I didn't mean to." He repeated himself. Her eyes left the far wall and settled on his face. "I was angry and I let myself slip."

"Do you have any idea what you've just done?" She whispered. He could barely hear the words.

"Please, Addy. I didn't mean to do that. My temper got the best of me, I swear it'll never happen again." She was choked up. Her words were caught in her throat. She had so much she wanted to say, but no energy to speak them. How would she hide the mark on her face? Makeup only went so far. She wanted to run, to turn around and never speak to him again. She wanted to hit back, to draw her wand on him. She did none of these things.  "Talk to me, please." He begged. She wasn't angry. She felt an enveloping feeling of numbness. Her cheek throbbed as she sat.

"I don't have anything to say."

"Yell at me, cry, do something!" He was frantic. He was only afraid of Adalinda when she was quiet. She wanted to do this, but she sat still instead. Her fathers booming voice sounded in her ears. The lectures of how she needed to be with Adrian, how she had to love him despite her true feelings. She wasn't sure how much longer she could pretend. This had been the first time he hit her, but she was positive it wouldn't be the last.

"I want to forget it happened." She said, finally.

"Are... are you breaking up with me?" He had tears in his eyes now. She clenched her teeth at the sound of the question. She didn't answer. "Addy, please." He took her hands into his own. They were still crowded together on the floor.

"No," She said, her tone hard. "But I want you to leave me alone for the rest of the day." She ordered.

"Please, Ad, I'll do anything to make it up to you."