five

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
don't get me wrong • lewis capaldi

The library was quiet, there was few people in the room. The books stood sturdy on the shelves, calling to her as she walked towards them. The room had a chill; a small draft wafted through the windows. The end of fall was near, and the weather was proving it. The castle was not very well insulated. She found her fingertips drifting over a few hardcover novels on the wooden shelf. She picked up one that peaked her interest, and she brought it to an empty table. It spoke tales of the history of magic. She needed it for her essay, but she did enjoy learning about it. As she sat, the old chair groaned under the slight weight. She opened the cover, and dove inside a world away from her own. As she flipped through pages, she heard footsteps crawling towards the table. Her eyes filtered up over her glasses as she caught sight of a few fourth year Hufflepuffs watching her. They were all girls, and looked as if they wanted to ask her something. They were issuing hushed whispers, clearly talking about her. Their eyes averted to the floor as she caught them.

"Enlighten me on what you find so interesting." She snapped, now her neck was straightened. Her eyes bored into them. They didn't answer. "I'm speaking to you?" She ushered them to respond. Her foot tapped against the floor as her impatience grew.

"We were just wondering if you knew.... if your brother had a girlfriend." She rubbed her face in her hands at the word and snapped her book shut.

"You came to bother me... to ask if my brother had a girlfriend?" She repeated their question. One of the girls nodded. "Do you really think I have the time to answer questions about my stupid little brother?" She scolded. They didn't answer. With a sigh, she stood. "No, he doesn't. Don't waste your time on him." She snapped, walking past them. "Next time, ask him yourself." She signed the book out and walked out of the library. The halls outside of it were littered with students from all houses. She suspected they were just trying to pass the time until the other schools arrived. It was mid-October now, and soon enough it would be the thirtieth. Maybe they were waiting for the day after, when the Triwizard champions would be selected.

She walked down the hallways leading to the dungeon. The time was just after dinner, the lot of everyone would be back inside anyway. Most of the people in her house were lazy, and got tuckered out any time after six o'clock. As she passed, her heels clicked angrily against the floor. When she passed through the entrance hall, the Weasley twins were arguing with each other over something she didn't care to understand. As she walked, Fred stopped arguing and followed her with his eyes. Usually, she would feel any type of satisfaction at this. Now, she was angry at the Hufflepuff girls for bothering her. She didn't give the two a second look.

"Close your mouth, mate. You'll catch a fly." George shot at his brother. This made Fred give him a glare. "Just looking out for you is all." Addy couldn't even laugh at their banter. This week had been a week of hell for the girl. An essay in three of her classes were due, her brother was driving her up a wall, and she was dealing with daily coercion from her boyfriend to do things she didn't want. Now, she was doing everything she could to avoid Adrian. She spent her time in the library or in her dorm, where he couldn't get to her. He rarely stepped foot in the library in his years of schooling; she didn't have to worry about him looking for her there.

She found herself in front of the stone wall that hid the Slytherin common room. Her lips let the password escape and it opened to reveal a staircase leading down to the dungeon it was located. As she took the steps, she could hear chatter at the bottom of the staircase. She pulled her book closer to her chest as she revealed herself into the opening. A few second years scattered out of her way as they saw her. She scanned the room, seeing her boyfriend sitting in an armchair by the fire. To keep up the reputation of their relationship, she went to him and placed a kiss on his lips. She wanted to throw up at her actions. Being with him made her feel physically ill sometimes. This year, especially. His actions of late were not close to what a relationship should hold.