eighteen

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
black hole sun • soundgarden

"I have a task for you." The words wrapped around her head, filling her ears. They punched her in the face, leaving her devoid of an answer. She could barely look up at the speaker. She did not hold fear, but resentment. She didn't want it to be clear in her face when he looked at her. The living room was silent aside from breathing. Her father sat on the couch next to her, listening to the conversation only by permission. The sky was black outside, giving her a feeling of emptiness. It wasn't late, but the weather darkened the daylight significantly. Rain pitted against the roof of the home. "Adalinda, this is of grave importance to me." Her face finally rose to meet the nose-less man.

"Yes, My Lord?" Her words were quiet, barely intelligible. He gave a sadistic smile at the teenage girl before him. He was thrilled at the fact he had a younger following now. Not only did he have returning Death Eaters, but their children were joining his cult. His power was growing.

"I need information, Adalinda." He looked her up and down, studying her body language. "On Albus Dumbledore." He paused, waiting for a response. "I need you to find out about The Order of The Phoenix, a group created to destroy me." He whispered.

"My Lord, pardon my interruption, but isn't that what Severus is doing?"

"Lucius, don't be a fool." He boomed. "Your daughter is a child, which means she can get information from their children. They have looser tongues, and she has connections in the school. You don't think children try to eavesdrop? Find out what their parents are doing?" He asked. Her father looked towards the floor, muttering an apology. "I need you to talk to whoever you need to get a plan. Find out what they're doing, so we can be a step ahead of them. These children might know more, overhear conversations outside of the meetings. Fears, worries, anything. Don't worry about Potter, but the other children. I have Potter covered."

"My Lord, how will I get the news back to you, if there be anything to know?" She asked, gently.

"If you discover something worth sharing, please send an intelligible letter to your father, who will report back to me." He turned away, thinking for a moment. "Do not make it obvious, act as if every letter will be intercepted by an unwanted reader." He added. "This means you will have to speak to people you do not associate yourself with. Act as if you've had a change of heart." He said, lowly. Her chest pained at the thought of lying to Fred, using him for information. Her poker face was strong, not allowing anyone to see something was bothering her. Voldemort wanted to know what she was thinking. He made an attempt at using legillimency; she had the walls of her mind up so far, he couldn't penetrate it. He watched the young girl in amazement. "Lucius, leave us be." He ordered, pointing to the door of the room. He abided, shuffling away nervously. The Dark Lord gave her an inquisitive look. She stared back, blankly.

"Is that really what you want from me, My Lord?" She asked. His face twitched at the invasive question. She didn't falter.

"How are you so skilled with Occlumency?" He finally sat, taking a chair across from her. "Only a very skilled wizard would have a strong practice like yours."

"I've dedicated my life to knowledge, My Lord. I know things many witches my age do not."

"That you do." He mulled over the thought. "You have great potential, Adalinda. Much more than your brother, and it greatly outweighs your fathers. You can do great things."

"With the least amount of disrespect, My Lord, I do not plan to live a mediocre life." She professed. He let out a high pitched laugh at the words.

"You're not scared of me?" She set her jaw hard, clenching her teeth together. She had a variety of answers she could give, but the truth seemed the best of them all.