nine

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
speechless • dan + shay

The music outside the castle doors was booming as they stepped to the entrance to the ball. Adrian Pucey had his girlfriend wrapped around his arm. The two were dressed in nothing but the best as they were expected to be. They never fell short of crowd expectations. Her black, elegant dress clung to her body with a hint of perfection. The off-shoulder lace sleeves stuck to her arms. It was nude enough to show her pale skin underneath it. The slit in the skirt stopped just shy of the mid-thigh, showing off a ghastly white, toned leg. A thin, sheer curtain of fabric hung around her waistline, framing the form fitting body of the gown. Her icy blue eyes held the hue of Slytherin. The makeup on her face was arguably the only bit of colour she held. Her eyelids were encased in an emerald green, showing her house pride. The necklace that danced around her neck held a serpent, decorated with actual emeralds. It had been a Christmas gift from her parents, it arrived earlier that morning. Her blonde hair was pinned to the top of her head in a storm of curls, some falling down her back and tickling her shoulders.

Her boyfriend was in an all black suit, his tie only green. They looked like bearers of death and beauty. The crowd couldn't decide which was more fitting. They truly looked like royalty, more so than the Triwizard Champions themselves. Fred Weasley had not yet caught sight of the girl of his dreams. While Angelina Johnson clung to his arms, he was only thinking about seeing Adalinda later that night. As the champions entered the ball, mouths stood agape not at them, but for the Slytherin couple that entered behind them. Adalinda had a beauty standard set high for every other girl in the school, but that night she surpassed it by miles. The music of the Weird Sisters pounded in their ears. Students were agitated with excitement. Cedric Diggory courted Cho Chang, Viktor Krum was accompanied by Hermione Granger, Fleur Delacour with Roger Davies, and Harry Potter was with Parvati Patil. All students were permitted inside after their entrance. Applause sounded for them as they opened the dance, tumbling around gracefully.

Adalinda stood, hooked arms with Adrian Pucey as they watched. Even at her painstaking beauty, her boyfriend wasn't that interested in her company. He barely gave her a word as they made their way inside, and again as the night ensued. Not once did he pride her on her stunning dress or her outstanding looks. Both knew they were only there together for appearances. Still, even with her dislike for the boy, she was put out at his lack of interest. She wanted to be appreciated by somebody, if it couldn't be by the boy she loved, she wanted it to be by the person she had to go with. Their relationship was on a thin rope, and one wrong movement would make it break. She hoped maybe this night would take it in a better turn, but he was as cold as ever.

The area was decorated with white lights and snow. Christmas trees taller than Rubeus Hagrid himself stood at the far end, towering over everything inside. As the first dance came to a close, everyone began to mingle. Addy found herself lost from her boyfriend, as he went to talk to some other Slytherin girls. Her chest twanged in hurt as he did so. Still, by her side she had Lucian, Marcus, Graham and Cassius. Even so, it didn't stop the whispering at Adrians wandering eyes for the other girls. "He's just being social, is all." Lucian told her as she watched her boyfriend laugh with a fifth year girl.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's all it is." She mustered a smile.

"You look beautiful tonight, Adalinda. He's crazy for not seeing it." Marcus placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. She didn't shy away from the gesture.

"Thanks, Marcus. You don't look so bad, either. Finally cleaned yourself up for once." The group let out a hearty laugh.

"I thought now would be the time, after eight years at the school." He joked back.

"Thought maybe you'd finally get yourself a girlfriend." She nudged him with her elbow.

"Maybe," he replied. She was being nicer than usual to them. She realized if Adrian left, she would need them more than ever. If the two broke up, she would have to use one of them as a backup to keep her father at bay. "If he doesn't dance with you, I'll have to take you for one." He told her. She gave a small smile at his statement.