twenty

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
springsteen • eric church

"Remember what you have to do," Lucius kissed his daughter on the head. Though he would never say it, he was nervous for the year ahead of her. He thought often about her safety, worrying if she would be okay. He knew of Voldemort's power, and if she were to disappoint him, her life was in danger. "Write to me if you need anything." He sighed. "I mean anything." He assured her, looking down to her scared face. Her and her father had grown closer since her orders were given, but still were on a fine line. She resented him for making her get the mark, but she started to come to terms with the idea. She believed he didn't have a voice; he would have been punished if his children defied The Dark Lord's power.

She moved on to her mother after giving her father a brisk nod. She hugged Narcissa, holding on for a moment longer than usual. Her mother was on the outskirts of the operation she was involved in. Narcissa was terrified about the situation, not wanting to have anything to do with it. She knew Adalinda was old enough to handle herself, and that she was strong willed. She was smarter than many her age, giving her an advantage. Still, she worried. Her children were her most prized possessions, as a mother she wanted to do what she could to protect them; it was out of her hands now. "I love you." Narcissa spoke quietly, letting the young girl go. "Be safe."

"I love you, mum." She sighed, grabbing the handle of her trunk.

"Draco, get that for your sister." Her father said, looking to her younger brother. He gave a slight eye roll, but grabbed it without hesitation. "We love you two, we'll see you at Christmas." They tumbled into the Hogwarts Express, Draco behind Addy. This year, everyone cowered as she walked by. Now that she was a seventh year, the oldest at the school, her power was amplified. She didn't like the way everyone seemed afraid of her. This year, with a newly given permission, she would change that. She finally got the chance to show everyone she wasn't as evil as she made herself out to be. She took a step into the prefect compartment as Draco threw her trunk in storage. He put his away, and came in after her. She stood in front of the fifth years, her new badge pinned to her sweater. She remembered in her fifth year when she stood in their spot.

Inside held Draco, and Pansy Parkinson from Slytherin, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger from Gryffindor, Ernie MacMillan and Hannah Abbott from Hufflepuff, and Padma Patil and Anthony Goldstein from Ravenclaw. For her year, Adalinda and a boy from Ravenclaw whom she did not know the name of, were Head Boy and Girl. The two seventh years shared a look and a nod, but it didn't go further than that. "Alright, Hufflepuff, I want you to take the first patrol of the train for the first two hours. Then, you'll switch with Slytherin, who will switch with Gryffindor, then Ravenclaw. Each shift is the same time, when you finish, we'll take whatever time is left."

"If you find any trouble, or need to ask a question, we'll be around, too. Our job is to guide you so eventually you can become Head Boy or Girl." Her partner said. She gave a brief nod.

"You guys better do your job," Draco chided towards Ron and Hermione. "No time for spit swapping in an empty compartment." He spat.

"Draco!" Addy snapped. "That is not prefect behaviour." The two Gryffindor's gave her a smile, trying not to let on that they were friendly with her. They saw her around Grimmauld Place as the summer came to an end, but she had to ensure they wouldn't tell anyone of her presence at the house. "Keep your comments to yourself." Her brother looked at her out of the corner of his eye, but kept his mouth shut. The two left, leaving the younger students to their job. When they got a few steps down the hallway, they shared a look with each other, and burst into giggles.

"He's terrified of you." The boy said.

"Terrified isn't quite the word, but I can scare the wits out of him." She laughed back.