eight

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
see you again • tyler, the creator

Weeks passed, and although they had their share of sneaky visits and longing glances, nobody had a clue about the relationship Fred Weasley and Adalinda Malfoy were blossoming. This included her brother and her boyfriend. Fred had also found a way to hide it from his partner in crime, George. Though Addy held a guilt about her secret love with the forbidden boy, it dissipated greatly as Adrian's actions grew angrier and more harsh towards her. Now, when he walked in the room, she cowered. When his temper got too bad, he usually took it out on her. He was loose with his tongue, rough when he touched her, and no more loving than her father had been to her when she was young.

The snow was beginning to stick to the ground as they walked to Hogsmeade. November was drawing to a close, and Christmas and the Yule Ball were fast approaching. Adalinda was surrounded by her group of daunting boys. They followed her closely as she walked, noticing the distance between her and Adrian. None of them dared to bring it up. The whole school seemed to be on their way to the village. The group of six stuck close to the front, eager to have some excitement in their lives. Addy had changed into boots, retiring her statement shoes for the winter. She pulled her jacket closer to her body as she walked, trying to keep out the cold winter air.

As the heart of the small cluster of buildings came into view, they picked up their pace. Soon, the entrance of the village was littered with students. Adalinda made her way to The Three Broomsticks, smiling at the thought of her favourite place. The warm whoosh of air hit them strong in the face as they entered. It was a relief to be out of the harsh cold that nature had become. Each of the six retired into the seats of a booth after ordering a butterbeer. They made mindless chatter as they sipped on their glasses, enjoying their break from the castle. In a couple booths before them, Addy noticed Fred Weasley sitting with his brother and Lee Jordan. He gave her a barely noticeable smile when he caught her eyes.

Time passed, and the crowd around the Slytherin girl diminished. It was left with her and Adrian. They barely spoke to each other, only looking at each other when they accidentally caught eyes. The liquid in the girls cup was dwindling as the day went forward. "So," the boy before her started. She looked to him. "I wanted to know if you would like to go to the Yule Ball with me?" He asked, slowly. His gaze burned into her. She let her hands dance over the handle of the mug.

"Yeah, I'd love to." A small smile pressed her lips. He returned it. He leaned over and kissed her, but it didn't last long.

"I'm gonna go check out Honeydukes, did you want to come?" He asked. She stayed silent as her stare drifted behind him and back to the ginger. She didn't look for long, in fear of being caught.

"No, I think I'll stay here. Maybe have another butterbeer before I have to go back." She told him. He gave a slight nod, unsure if she was being truthful. "I have to go to Dervish and Bangs after, and then stop to pick up something for Draco for Christmas. Don't bother waiting around for me, I'll probably be a while." She said as he stood.

"Are you sure? I don't mind." She gave him a nod. "Addy?" He asked again, harder. He wanted a verbal answer.

"I'm sure, I'll see you back at the castle." Guilt had become her, knowing why she truly didn't want him to stay. He leaned down and gave her a kiss on the cheek, making cold run through her veins.

"Okay, see you later, then." He walked off and out of the pub. She waited a few minutes as she overheard the twins from afar.

"I have to go shopping for Christmas, I better get that done." Fred told his brother.

"Brilliant, I'll come." George said.

"You can't, you git. I have to get something for you, too." George eyed him wearily.