thirty-one

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
sign of the times • harry styles

Adalinda stepped into the night, dread settled deep in the pit of her stomach as she tried to rid herself of the memory of Voldemort's company. Being near him was chilling, and hearing what he had to say about his future plans was something so otherworldly that she couldn't even begin to describe it. The horrors waiting to unfold was weighing her down more as the days dragged on.

Her father was close to her side, keeping a firm grip on her arm so she could not apparate away without speaking to him first. Draco was on the opposite side of her, trembling with fear but trying his best to keep it covered. She reached out, ever so slightly placing a hand on the back of Draco's arm. He jumped at the contact, clearly skittish and not expecting the touch. After a second, he realized he was safe under her hold and relaxed. She noticed the anxious shaking begin to cease.

"Back to the Manor." Lucius spoke with great caution, ensuring there was no other listeners. "Grab my hands."

"We'll meet you there." She said, cold and uncaring. His nostrils flared slightly in anger, finding her new found confidence off-putting and extremely irritating.
"Adalinda," he warned, turning his head down at her with a grievous authority in his eyes. "You will do as I say."

"I don't live under your roof anymore, father. I do as I say." She reminded, the same deadly force in her in voice. "I said I will meet you there, and I will bring Draco with me." Finality was dripping from her statement, and he could see that she was unwilling to budge from her decision. Lucius drew in a long breath, seemingly ready to argue, but promptly turned away and disappeared into the night without another word. Clouds of black smoke filled the air around both siblings, all of the other Death Eaters overdue for their departure home and eager to return.

Silently, she guided Draco far off into the distance, away from any possible eavesdropping and to a point where she was certain of security. When seclusion was guaranteed, she finally stopped and turned to look at her brother. "Father told you?"

"He did," she nodded, taking a seat on a large rock bordering the tree line. He sat next to her, looking up at the night sky with a grimace stuck on his lips. "Are you afraid?"

"Yeah." He breathed, fixating on the soft glow of the moon. "Are you?"

"Yes." She nodded, looking up at the sky just the same. "I think I've always been." She admitted, running her fingers over the wood grain of her wand sitting just under the opening of her robes. "In a world like this, I think it's more surprising to be fearless."

"Father's afraid too, but he'd never say it."

"Of course not." She chuckled. "I can say a lot of things about our father, and none of them good, but I suppose it is amicable that he would never admit his fear to us. I'm not sure if it's because he's trying to spare our feelings, or if it's solely because of his own. Either way, it's impressive to hold so much weight on your shoulders without asking for any help."

"Or stupid." Draco cut in, offering the alternative. She laughed again, nodding in response.

"Or stupid," she reiterated, a sad smile crossing her lips "I know we haven't always seen eye to eye on everything, and we probably never will, but I think you're incredibly brave."

"I dont think that at all." He disagreed. "I'm terrified, Addy. I don't know what to do, and I know if I can't do it, he'll kill me."

"Being afraid doesn't make you a coward. Running away does, and so far, I haven't seen you run."

"I want to."

"Wanting and doing are two very different things." She finally looked over at him, noticing the brim of tears shining in his eyes. "Father always treated you poorly, but I know he believes in you. I think he's always liked you more than me. Especially now."