twenty-one

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
sex • EDEN

The first years found their way to their new common rooms with the help of the Prefects, and Head Boy and Girl. However, after Adalinda made sure everyone was back to their new homes safely, she disappeared again. Her and Tyler had discussed the first meeting of the Prefects would be held the following day, after everyone was settled. This gave her free reign on the rest of her evening. Of course, her being outside of her common room would be fine if Filch ran into her. After all, she was just a step below him now. She could tell him anything, and he'd have to believe her. Dumbledore appointed her Head Girl for a reason.

So, she tumbled down the corridors and trudged up the staircases. The castle was dark aside from the dim lighting of the torches. She gave Ravenclaw the first patrol of the night, but told them to stick to the main floor. Most of the students would be tuckered from the daunting train ride. If they were going to sneak about, they probably wouldn't go far. That, and she knew she'd be a few floors up. On her way, she did a scout of the hallways, making sure no one was out of place. When she paced the wall before the room of requirement, she heard a commotion in the hallway over. She walked towards it, relieved that it was only Fred. He was breathless, a frazzled look on his face. She stifled a giggle. "Sorry bout' that." He smiled. "Had a run in with Peeves a few hallways over, got him off my trail, though."

"Finally getting a taste of your own medicine?" She raised an eyebrow, hinting at his usual tomfoolery. He waved it off, taking her hand as they disappeared behind the wall. "So glad I could get your attention this late at night. I was hoping you got my signals from across the Great Hall." She laughed, collapsing onto a couch that had been placed inside. He took the spot next to her.

"I guess we're just that connected. We can speak telepathically now." He pointed at his own head, turning his hand to her. She chuckled.

"Or," she threw her legs over his. "You just hoped this was what I meant."

"Yeah, that's about it." He gave in, resting a hand on her knee. She warmed at the touch, feeling her internal fear of the school year ease. He had a way of making her calm. She wasn't sure what it was about him, but his touch invoked nothing but positive feelings. She was still recovering from the harsh hand of Adrian's, feeling off about it at times. She wondered if Fred might turn out that way. If one boy could feel that way about her, why couldn't Fred. He was much too good for her, anyway. She pushed the thought away, knowing he was ten times the person Pucey was. Fred would never hurt a fly, let alone someone he cared so much for.

"You know," she broke the silence. "One year ago, today, was the first time we ever spoke." She felt fond of the memory. It was the first time she'd been subjected to a person who didn't make her feel like just a rich student. He gave her a glimpse at what life could be if she didn't care about her parents feelings.

"You mean when you fell in love with me?" He said, cheekily. She made a noise of a laugh, mostly just breathing out through her nostrils. Her stomach churned at the word love; she didn't like it. Still, a year after doing whatever they were doing, she didn't want to admit she had real feelings for him. She knew she did, but could she call it love? That was a very powerful profession that she wasn't sure she was ready for. She knew her feelings of affection were complicated enough, they might end up hurting him, so she didn't feel comfortable saying the 'L' word at all. Even as she thought this, she knew she was falling into it. With every sneaky look and hidden kiss, with every touch and word exchanged, she was unequivocally falling deep in love with Fred Weasley. Despite that, she kept her mouth shut.

"You mean you fell in love with me?" She reached over and ran a hand through his newly cut hair. She liked the new look, it suited him.

"Well, I did tell George I met the love of my life that night." She had to bite a smile at the words. Instead of churning with uneasiness, her stomach bubbled with happiness. She hadn't felt this good in a while.