twenty-two

SONG OF THE CHAPTER -
every rose has its thorn • poison

The Prefect meeting was called to order by Addy telling everyone to shut up. A charming greeting, but effective. Tyler tried to sustain his laughs at their scared faces, but failed miserably. "Alright, now I that I have your attention," Addy laughed. "I'm pleased to inform you of your nightly patrols!" She grinned. "Now, I'll have a list made up. It's pretty straight forward, you'll patrol the same times with the same partner each night of the week. Tyler and I will have Monday's, Friday's and Sunday's, we'll take the latest patrol. You guys can find your times and days on this," she levitated a piece of parchment and landed it in front of the student closest to her. "If you can't patrol for any reason, let us know and we'll get someone to cover you."

"Again, if you have any questions, please find us. Addy usually has her long nose buried in a textbook, she won't be hard to spot." Tyler laughed at his own comment, causing her to give him a slight shove.

"And you can find Tyler hitting on a poor sixth year, anywhere in the castle." This caused another chorus of laughter amongst the group. "Along with your patrols, you will be allowed to deduct house points. In saying this, it can only be from your own house. It's a certain way to ensure that you won't misuse your power. Please use it if you must, other than that, it's just a minor detail."

"We expect you guys to be on your best behaviour at any given moment. You are the model students for our school. Don't mistreat the title. On Hogsmeade trips, you will also be expected to keep an eye on everyone." Tyler added. She gave a nod of agreement.

"Now, the Prefect's bathroom is to only be used by us, the password will change monthly. You'll come to us to get it. The password for September is Fizzing Whizbee's." She announced, looking down at her parchment. "Given your power, you will be excused one hour past the ten o'clock curfew due to patrol time. Don't run about past ten, only be out unless you're needed or on your shift."

"Then what's the point of a curfew extension?" Pansy Parkinson asked, causing a look of confusion from both the Head Boy and Girl.

"She just explained it, Pansy. Please listen next time." Tyler chided. "Now, along with the comment about best behaviour, do not use the title to scare other students." He shot a look at Pansy and Draco.

"That's about it for today, we'll be having another meeting at the same time next month unless a situation arises in the meantime. Do your duty to this school." Addy finished with a note of pride. The children grabbed their books after giving the last glance down at the schedule. Tyler left with the crowd. The only two left in the room were Draco and Adalinda.

"You trying out for the Quidditch team this year?" Draco asked, shoving his textbooks in his school bag. She thought for a moment, but shook her head.

"I'll stay out of that mess. You?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Anyway, how are you?" He finally asked. She gave a slight shrug.

"It's much easier to distract myself when we're at school." Was all she replied. Draco raised an eyebrow, wondering what she was hinting at. "Not like that, you git!" She smacked his shoulder. "I meant with classes, nimwit."

"No need to get yourself in a fit, Addy." He laughed at her reaction. "But really, you're alright?"

"Yeah, I am. Things have become a lot easier now that I'm used to them." She wouldn't dare tell Draco of her true allegiance. She trusted him, but he was susceptible to Voldemort's mind games. The secret was much safer staying in her own head. She trusted Fred because he wouldn't be in a situation where he'd come close to The Dark Lord.