Who Am I?

Sierra POV:

The moment my eyes cracked open, they reflexively shut back. Slowly reopening them, I came to terms with the brightness of the overhead light. As I looked over my surroundings, I noticed a machine attached to my arm and an annoyingly loud beeping noise. Then the door of the room opened, revealing a man in a long, white coat, probably a doctor.

"Ah, you're awake" he sighed, walking over to the side of the bed. "Alright Miss Hamilton, I need you to answer me a few questions"

Hamilton- who is he talking about?

"Okay, just stay still" he said, taking out a light from his pocket.

He started moving the light from side to side in front of my face, making it hard for me to focus on one point and stay still. Stepping back with another sigh, he takes up a clipboard from the table near the door and starts writing.

Coming back over to my side, he squats a little and puts his hand in front of me.

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

"F....four?"

"Can you tell me your name?"

Name? What's my name? Am I Ms Hamilton? What's going on? Where am I?

"I-...no...." I stutter, internally frustrated at my lack of remembrance.

"That's fine. Your family members are gathered outside, I'll send them in, okay?" he says, checking to see if it's fine with me.

A few minutes later, the door slowly opens, revealing two girls.

One with a dark complexion and full lips, her stomach slightly raised. The other, with long dark tresses, falling softly at her shoulders, with striking blue eyes.

Both of their eyes, tear weary. They approached me carefully, taking their own time. Taking a split at the end of the bed, they each came on one side of the bed, still silent.

"Sierra...." the darker one whispered, gently stroking my hair.

"W....who's S..Sierra?" I mumbled, feeling uncomfortable under their shared gaze.

They both turned to face each other, both seemingly attempting to hold back tears. The darker one, moved from her spot, and rushed out the door, leaving me with the other girl. Turning back to face me, she tucked her hair behind her ear, and put her hand on mine.

"Hi...." she muttered, giving my hand a soft squeeze. "I'm Kristen.....your girlfriend.....do you remember me?"

Giving her a sad look, I shook my head 'no', and she returned an understanding look.

Putting her focus on my hands, she took one of them in hers, and intertwined them. Her hands were incredibly soft, and extremely comforting. We stayed like that for a moment, before she took a close seat.

"The doctor says, you hit your head when the car skidded, so your speech is off, and you're gonna have some memory loss" she informed me, kissing my forearm. "We don't know if it's going to be temporary"

"W..who a..am I?" I asked, making a soft smile spread across her face, as she shifts in her seat a bit.

"You are......a dream" she begins, perching up on the small rail. "You're 28 years old, you own a company, and your favourite TV show is 'The Flash'. You have 2 brothers and 2 sisters, a nephew and another on the way. Does that help anything?"

"S....S..Sade" I said, not knowing who or what it was.

"Yes! Yes, that's good. That's one of your sisters" she squealed, excitement pouring out of her.

She cupped my cheek lightly, brushing a stray hair from my face.

"I'll be back" she whispered, walking out of the room.

Kristen was being surprisingly patient with me. Not that I was complaining, but I'd assume that most people would be upset that their partners didn't remember them.

When she came back, the other girl was with her again, and there was another guy and girl. There was also a child, who looked exactly like Kristen.

Wait so- if Kristen is my girlfriend....and this little girl is hers, or well- ours.......AM I A MOM?

Feeling a sense of mild excitement at the thought of possibly being a mother, a wide smile grows on my face. Looking to the corner of the room, the girl who ran out before, was stood there; avoiding my gaze, and hanging her head.

Feeling guilty and responsible for how she felt, it rang that we were clearly close. Her reaction to me not being able to remember her said a lot.

"S..Sade...?" I forced out, hoping that I was right, in that she was my sister.

At the sound of my voice, she raised her head and a smile grew on her face. Feeling accomplished, for making her smile and for getting it right, I smiled back. Then the doctor, and a nurse, came back in.

"Okay, so it appears as though the brain damage is temporary on the memory loss side of things. Doing little things that were casual to her, and normal routines should help jog her memory. But not too much at a time, that can be dangerous and cause whatever she knows at that point to be permanent" he warned, giving them all a look I couldn't quite pin.

"Her speech however, won't get back to normal on its own. She's gonna have to get speech therapy, and there's no guarantee how long or even if she'll be fully recovered" he added, dampening the mood quite a bit. "For now, we'll need to run some more tests, so she has to stay one more night before she can go home."

Looking around the room, everyone seemed to be pleased with my diagnosis. Everyone but one person. Me.

I hardly know, or well, remember any of these people, and I can't talk properly. What's good about that?

I want to get to remember who they are. I want to remember who I am. And how am I supposed to do that, if I can barely make a sentence out without stopping, or having to start over?

Bringing me from my mental rant, was a soft hand on my shoulder. Looking up, I see Kristen with a small smile on her face.

"How are you feeling?" she asked in a whisper, stroking my hair back.

"I.....I'm o...ok..ay" I reply, sighing at the stutter.

"Hey, it's okay" she comforted me, sitting at the side of the bed. "You're gonna be back to yourself before you know it. I promise."

Cupping my cheek, she brings my hand to her lips and presses a kiss against them.

"Sade left to go get a change of clothes, I'm gonna stay. Is that okay with you?" she asks, still holding my hand to her face.

Humming a 'yes', a smile spreads on her face, as she hops off the bed. Going over to the door and closing it in, she came back over and pulled up a chair next to me. She took my hand once more, and interlocked our fingers.

"I won't ever let go again" she whispered, placing yet, another kiss, upon them.