Chapter 2.1 - Where the Light Can't Find You

Juliet's POV

I woke up that morning and went down into the bakery, greeting my parents and giving them each a kiss on the cheek.

"What's got you in a rush?" Mom asked me.

"Well, since last night didn't go that well for the Hardy's, I figured I would make them my famous blueberry pie. It's their favorite." I said with a chuckle.

"Well, I would assume so! Laura would always grab one when she was in town." Mom teased.

"I'm glad you're thinkin' of them. I heard from Jesse that Joe was held at knifepoint by someone who was targeting Gloria." Dad said.

"Yeah, it was Ern... sorta. He was really shaken up." I say.

"Ern? Chuck's boy? He's alive?" Dad asked me, his eyes wide in shock.

"Yeah, he survived the boat incident, which, from what Joe told me, wasn't an accident but a cover-up for something involving Gloria." I explained.

"Juliet... I won't accuse you of lying because I know you're not the lying type but... please don't stick yourself in other people's business, especially if it has to do with the Estabrooks..." Mom warned me.

"I know, I'm not purposely going out and digging into these things. But you know me." I say to them.

"I know, but we just want you safe..." Dad said, pulling me into his side.

"I love you both." I smiled at them.

"And we love you. You better get started on that pie so it'll be done by lunch. And while you're there, could you tell Trudy that her chocolate eclairs should be done by the end of tomorrow?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, sure... Hey, Mom? Was my blueberry pie really Laura's favorite pie?" I asked her, an idea coming to my head.

-----

I knocked on the door and hid the pie behind my back. It was about noon, the best time to drop off the pie since I didn't have to be back at the bakery until dinner time.

The door swung open and Mr. Hardy stood there in a nice-looking suit.

"Hello, Mr. Hardy." I greeted him with a big smile.

"Well, hello! Do what do we owe the pleasure? Wait... do I smell...?" Mr. Hardy's smile grew twice as big.

"Yes!" I grinned, unable to contain my excitement. I brought the pie out from behind me and presented it. "Since last night wasn't the best welcoming, I thought this might lift everyone's spirits." I couldn't contain my excitement.

"Juliet... thank you so much. What do I owe you?" Mr. Hardy started to go for his wallet.

"Nothing, sir. It's a gift. Not to mention, I wanted to share something else with you too, all of you actually." I said, waving the menu in my hand.

"Well, come on in, I'll get the boys and Trudy." Mr. Hardy stepped aside.

I put the pie on the kitchen island and placed the menu next to it. I heard Mr. Hardy call for the boys and, not moments later, you could hear their footsteps on the stairs. Trudy had come in too, giving me a side hug.

"There's a surprise waiting for us in the kitchen." I heard Mr. Hardy say from the other side of the wall.

Mr. Hardy, Frank, and Joe all emerged into the kitchen and saw me.

"Is this what I think it is?!" Joe asked, remembering what I told him last night. I nodded and chuckled at him, his childish antics showing.

I could see Frank sniffing the air with his eyes closed.