Chapter 4.3 - Secrets and Lies

Juliet's POV

"What do you mean?" He asked me.

I took a deep, shaky breath, before speaking.

"Everyone knows the story that was published in the paper and put in the obituary - the story I tell people... But no one knows what really happened because it was only me and Jacob outside that day. It was the afternoon... we had just finished lunch... Mom and Dad were inside, baking and working with customers. I was outside with Jacob, playing with him." I started, tears forming in my eyes. I took another shaky breath.

"We were passing the ball back and forth. I remember that he threw it really hard at me, so I threw it back really hard too, and then he did it again, so I did it again... We were like that for a few minutes, until he threw it and accidentally knocked me over... I was so mad that he had ruined my new dress... so I picked up the ball and threw it as hard as I could." I sniffled and tried to hold in my tears. I look down at my lap, avoiding his gaze. I was ashamed.

"I purposefully threw it over his head and into the road so he couldn't get it back. He wasn't supposed to go after it! I never meant -- I never wanted... I didn't see the car until Jacob was in the middle of the street with the ball. The driver didn't have enough time to stop. God, if I hadn't thrown that ball, he would still be here!" I cried out, more in anger than sadness.

"Jules..." Frank breathed out.

"It was my fault... all because of a stupid reason." I spit at myself.

"Jules!" Frank scolded me, making me look back up at him.

"How long have you been carrying this? Who else knows?" He asked.

"Since the day he died... and just you." I admit, wiping my tears. I had to be strong.

"Jules, you were a kid. You couldn't've known what was going to happen..." Frank tried to reason but I knew better.

"He died going after that ball, Frank. The one I threw. I'm the reason he was in the road in the first place." I say.

"Jules..." Frank whispered.

"Nothing you say is going to change my mind..." I tell him.

"I know... but just know you don't have to share that burden alone anymore." He told me, grabbing my hand.

"I miss him so much." I say, putting my other hand on top of his.

"I'm sorry." He told me.

"You have nothing to be sorry for... I'm sorry for dumping this all on you when you have so many other things to worry about." I say, looking around at everything in front of us.

"Jules, believe it not, you mean more to me than a bunch of papers." He chuckled at me, trying to lighten the mood.

I looked at the papers in front of me again.

"You miss your mom a lot, don't you?" I asked him.

"Probably just as much as you miss your brother. I miss her all the time..." He told me.

I brought my chair closer to him and pulled him into an embrace. His arms wrapped around me and held me close. His hands rubbed up and down my back, giving me all the comfort that I needed in that moment.

However, the moment was cut short by distant clanging. The door.

Someone's here!

"Move, quick! Turn everything off!" I whisper-yell to him, letting go of him. He quickly turned everything off and I grabbed his hand.