Chapter 9.2 - The Key

Juliet's POV

It was the next morning and I was sitting next to Frank in the attic, talking with Joe. 

"What if the key to the secret door is lost? Then what?" Joe asked us. 

"The way things have been going, I would say it was hidden. Not lost." Frank said. 

"Then we need to find it." Joe said. 

"I don't think it's that simple. I think we need to find the puzzle that leads to the key." Frank said. 

"Oh, right. 'Cause that makes so much more sense." Joe said. 

"Your Great-Grandpa was a big fan of puzzles. Maybe this is another one. Like the trick piano at the Rosegrave test." I told them. 

"Mom's family is so weird." Joe sighed, sitting backward in a chair.

"They're our family, too. Hey, maybe that's why you are the way you are." Frank teased his brother. 

Joe gave a fake annoyed laugh while I was chuckling next to Frank, who was chuckling with me.

There was a few moments of silence when Joe spoke up. "Do we trust Grandma?" He asked us. 

"I don't know..." Frank trailed off. 

"Juliet?" Joe asked me my opinion. 

"In my view, we shouldn't. The way she was talking about things yesterday and the way she phrased some things. I think she has her own best interest at heart. She told us to keep it away from Mrs. Khan then suddenly starts talking about reassembling it... and I have my own view on your Great-Grandpa's death." I said. 

"What are you talking about? He crashed at sea." Frank inquired. 

"Yeah. An experienced Navy Pilot. Who was carrying an object that would let him see the outcome of things and gave him unexplainable luck." I said. 

"When you put it that way..." Frank said, understand my viewpoint.

"I know that's not our main focus but I don't think Gloria was telling the truth about that - which leads me not to trust her along with my gut feeling." I said. 

"Kids, you're gonna be late for school!" Trudy calls up to us from downstairs. 

"Great. Yeah. That's what's gonna solve everything. School." Joe complained, making me smile at him and playfully roll my eyes. 

-----

Was walking in the halls when Callie came up to me. 

"Hey, Juliet." She greeted me. 

"Hey, girlie. How are you?" I asked her.

"I'm alright. But what about you? I heard you had an interesting day yesterday." She said. 

"Yeah, no kidding. But I'm fine." I said. 

We saw Frank at his locker, grabbing his books. We walked up to him, pausing our own conversation.

"Hey, Frank." Callie greeted him. He looked up and saw us. 

"Hey, girls. What's up?" He asked us, looking up at us. 

"Walking to class." I said and he nodded. 

"I heard about yesterday. I heard Joe was grabbed by JB?" Callie asked him. 

"Uh, yeah. He was. But he's fine." Frank answered, easing her worries. 

"I'm glad he's okay. So, what happened?" Callie asked, looking at both of us.