Chapter 10.2 - The Secret Room

Juliet's POV

I pulled into the parking lot of Wilt's and followed Joe into the store. I saw Wilt putting away some sodas while whistling. 

"Ah. What can I get for you, Mr. Hardy? Miss Matthews?" He asked us, noting us at the door.

"A jacket." Joe stated, looking over at him.

"Toasted or plain?" Wilt asked with a small smile making both Joe and I chuckle.

"I think I forgot mine here yesterday." Joe said and Wilt smiled. 

"Ah. I hung it up over there." Wilt grinned, pointing to the corner of the shelf. 

He went around and grabbed it. I thanked Wilt and began to walk towards the door with Joe.

"That's a nice jacket." An all-too-familiar voice said from the corner of the room. 

"JB!" I whisper-yelled. I quickly shuffled over to him and gave him a quick hug. "The last time we talked, you were nervous that you weren't going to come out alive, so I'm glad to see you okay."  

"I'm peachy, doll face." He winked at me playfully. 

"Wait, you're okay. Does that mean you successfully stole the Khan piece? Did you give it to Gloria? Did she ask you to find the third one?" I asked him, rapid fire. 

"There's three?! Okay, the fact that you just know everything all the time is starting to get a little bit unnerving." JB said, looking at us. He pulled the Khan piece out of his pocket and showed it to us, answering my questions.

"Look, we gotta go." Joe said, pulling me towards the door. 

"No. You don't. Talk to me for a second, okay? Because... 'cause I need to know what this is. It's basically magic, right? That's why everyone's after it?" JB asked us. 

"You think so?" Joe questioned him sarcastically. 

"Well, at least for winning games of Solitaire." JB retorted. "What else can it do?" He asked, looking at me this time.

"You don't wanna know." I tell him, hoping he wouldn't pry.

"Okay. Well, the way I see it, this thing, on its own, can conjure up some pretty neat tricks. But I figure, if you get the rest of the pieces, you put 'em together, it could do a whole lot more." JB said. 

"I really don't think you wanna do that." Joe warned him. 

"I don't wanna do that? Of course, I wanna do that. Isn't that why your old lady hired me to get them, so she could put it back together?" JB asked, remembering what I had said in the car. 

"Yes, but you don't understand--" I start but he cuts me off. 

"Guys, this could be my meal ticket, here." JB stressed. 

"No, really. I don't think anyone's ever done anything good with it." Joe explained. 

"Look, Joey, doll face, I, I appreciate it. I really do, but... Honestly, for the first time in my life, I could use a bit of power." JB states. "Do you know where the last one is? Where yours is?" He asked us.

"Someone took ours. And we don't know about the third one." I tell him. "And please... don't look for them. This isn't the kind of power that gets you a pardon. It's the kind that drives men mad and gets people killed." I warn him. 

"Who took yours?" He asked, ignoring my warning. 

We heard Wilt whistle behind us, doing his own thing. I was suddenly aware of all the people that could be listening in around us. "We're going to be late for school. Let's go, Joe." I said, heading to the door.