Chapter 4.2 - Secrets and Lies

Juliet's POV

I took up Frank's offer and went to Wilt's when it opened. I was greeted with a huge bead hug from Callie and a side hug from Chet.

"How are you?" She asked me.

"I've been better." I said, not wanting to talk about all that went on this morning.

"Hey, there you are! I was beginning to think you decided not to come." Frank greeted.

"I need coffee." I simply stated.

"I swear, your body's 70% coffee instead of water." Chet teased.

"This is the way to live, my friend." I smile, happy to forget this morning's events.

"So Frank, you put some more thought into coming to play baseball with us this year?" Chet asked him.

"I told you, man, I don't play anymore." He said. This shocked me, I thought his mom said he loved baseball. Plus, we talked about it at the dinner table the first night we met. They said she would always try to make it to his games.

Oh.

That was the exact reason he didn't want to play... because his mom wouldn't be there...

"Come on, man. With an arm like that? Sitting around is just a sad waste of talent. Imagine how good our walls would look with awards for both softball and baseball -- famous pitchers Juliet Matthews and Frank Hardy!" He motions his hands as if reading a billboard.

"It's, uh, it's complicated." Frank says.

"They could really use you, Frank. To make up for Chet's deficiencies." Callie teases while grabbing his hand.

"Oh, hold. What-- Some girlfriend you are. Jeez." Chet scoffs making us all laugh.

"You know I'm your biggest fan." Callie said.

I could see Frank's smile not reaching his cheekbones. Maybe seeing Chet and Callie was a reminder of his breakup? Frank then turned around and looked at Wilt.

"Hey, uh, Wilt, you got a minute?" He asked him.

"Yeah. For you, I got five." He said before walking off with him.

Huh, I'll have to ask him what that was about later.

"Juliet, are you seriously okay?" Callie asked me, worried.

"Honestly, no. But I will be, I don't really wanna talk about it right now, or here. Maybe later." I told her with a small smile.

"We love you, just know that." Callie reminded me.

"I know. And I love you guys too." I said back.

Frank came back over and started to take off his uniform.

"Hey, I'm going to take my lunch break and visit my grandma. I'll see you guys later." He said before taking off, not waiting for a reply.

"Jeez, he's in a hurry." Chet said.

"Oh, crap! I have to turn in my application forms to her!" Callie explained.

"I still don't understand how you work with her, she's mean." I say.

"I know but she's not bad when you get to know her." Callie defended but I didn't stand for it.

"No, she's not, how can you still like her even after everything I told you - what she did to my family, to my brother!" I exclaimed, getting the attention of some people around us.

"I asked her about that and she said you and your family took it way out of proportion and--" She started but I had enough.

"Now you're calling me and my family liars! I thought you were my best friend! Just earlier you said that you loved me but clearly, that isn't true. I've already had enough mental strain today. I can't be here." I said before storming out of Wilt's.