Chapter 7.1 - A Figure in Hiding

Juliet's POV

It was the next day and I had poured me and Frank some cereal. Joe was already in the kitchen doing... something, I'm not sure.

"Did you sleep okay last night?" Frank asked me. 

"Yeah, I talked to my parents last night and they said that they had all my school stuff ready for me, I could go pick it up anytime." I said. 

"Good, I need to talk to Aunt Trudy about that... I don't really know what all I need." He said, bummed out.

"Look, I know that you didn't want to go to our school this year but look on the bright side. You could be going somewhere where you didn't know anyone at all. Also, you wouldn't be able to see me and the team kick Carthage's butt this year." I chuckled at the end, hoping to cheer him up.

"You're right. Not to mention, I can avoid all that awkwardness with Emma." Frank added and I nodded. 

"Thanks, Jules." Frank smiled and I smiled back.

"Do you think a dress is too much for today?" I asked him, changing the subject.

"I don't think they're going to care what you wear." He told me. 

"But I care." I blatantly said. 

"You'll be fine. You usually don't need to try, you're naturally pretty." He said, making me blush. 

"'Usually?' Does that mean sometimes I'm not pretty?" I asked, decided to tease him. 

"I mean..." He started to tease back when I smacked his shoulder lightly.

"Ow!" He over-exaggerated while laughing, making me laugh too. 

I sat down next to him and we both started eating our cereal. We both were looking over the newspaper when Joe came over and sat in front of us. 

"Hello, Frank. Hello, Juliet." Joe said strangely. He was a little loud and too calm. His words and tone were too "proper" for him. He was up to something.

"Hi, Joe." Frank responded in the same manner. 

"We didn't hear you there." I said, teasing him and chuckling at my own humor.

"Well, that's too bad. Hearing people is very important. And useful." Joe said like before. 

"Mm-hmm." Both Frank and I responded with cereal in our mouths. We looked at each other, obviously understanding that he was up to something.

"What are you guys doing today?" Joe asked, once again in the same obnoxious tone. 

"Jules and I are gonna go to Rosegrave to talk to Dean McFarlane. See if he can tell us why Mom left town after high school. You?" Frank said before asking him the same.

"Well, I'm gonna find out what crooked cop this came from. I'm gonna get them to confess that they were the buyer at the brick factory." Joe said, pulling out the piece we found. His tone went back to normal. 

"Why would anyone admit that to you? Even if they did, no one's gonna believe your word over a cop's, Joe." I said, both Frank and I getting up to put our bowls in the sink. 

"They will... 'Cause I'm wearing a wire. I'm using these headphones as a microphone. And I just recorded everything you two said.

He rewound the tape recorder and then played it but nothing came out, just static.

"So, super plan, buddy!" Frank said, making fun of him. 

"It's a prototype, all right? It'll work." Joe says, upset.