Chapter 10.1 - The Secret Room

Juliet's POV

Frank, Joe, and I walked down the dark hall and entered a spacious room. The room was an ominous green color and was covered in cobwebs. Trinkets were everywhere, pictures covered the walls, and you could smell the dust in the room. 

"Whoa." Frank looked around in awe. 

"Smells old in here. Really old." Joe said after him. 

"Well, we are the first people in here since your great-grandfather died..." I stated. 

Frank switched on the light switch next to him, illuminating the room. The ominous green turned into a soft one, unlike any color we'd seen in this house. We all turned off our flashlights and put them away. In the center of the room stood a desk covered in all sorts of things. Shelves full of trinkets and knick-knacks surround us as did pictures of strange things. 

"I wonder how many other people have been in this room." Frank inquired. 

"My guess would be your family, Ahmed Khan, and Sergei Nabokov." I said. 

I went to a nearby shelf and took a look at the books on it, most of them about the history of Bridgeport or land surveys. 

"When I imagined what secrets look like, this is pretty much it." Joe said, looking through a book on the other side of the room. 

"Guys, some of this stuff should be in a museum." Frank said. 

"I agree." I nodded, both of us looking directly at what looked to be a pistol from the Revolutionary War. 

"What's this map?" Joe asked out, getting us to look away from the gun.

Joe was looking at a map that was hanging on the wall in a nook right behind the desk.

"It's the center of attention when you walk in... it has to be important." I said and Frank gave a slight nod in agreement.

"I think I've seen it before." Joe said. We all went up to it and looked at it.

"It looks like a map of Bridgeport." Frank answered. 

"It looks like those maps we found in the library, ya know, before the explosion at Demon's Paw." I said. 

"Before Bridgeport?" Joe asked and we nodded. 

"I don't know what these lines are, though." Frank said, pointing them out.

"Probably something weird. Circle of the Eye stuff" Joe said making me lightly chuckle.

Joe backed away and started to look at other things. I looked at Frank, wondering where his mind was at. I could see the gears in his head turning.

"What's up?" I asked him. 

"This doesn't feel like a secret society supply closet. Feels more like a collection." Frank said, going back to looking around.

"Of what?" Joe asked.

"Curiosities, Joe. Trinkets. Oddities." Frank explained. 

"Weird old guy stuff." Joe retorted, holding up a strange rock. I couldn't help but laugh at Joe's judging character.

"Gloria said it was a repository of George's studies into The Eye. This could've also doubled as his personal study." 

"I think you're right. Something in this room was important enough to hide behind a secret door, rigged to collapse if somebody tried to break in." Frank said which made us all think again. 

He was right, there was something here, we just had to find it. As we continued to explore, a thought hit me out of nowhere. 

"Laura never made it this far." I stated, getting their attention.