Chapter 6.1 - In Plain Sight

Third POV

As promised, Gloria had stopped by the bakery to make amends with the Matthews. Juliet was there in the bakery studying while her parents talked with Gloria. They had told her that it would be hard for them to forgive her but they were willing to start over, which made Juliet and Gloria very happy. Her parents were also very happy that Gloria offered to sponsor Juliet for the Rosegrave Culinary Program, as they've always wanted to see her succeed. They wish Gloria goodbye as she needed to visit with her family. Gloria told Juliet where and when the test was and told her "Good luck!" before leaving for the Hardy house.

Gloria was with Trudy in the living room talking about her artwork when Frank and Joe had come in after playing some basketball.

"Oh, hi, boys." Gloria greeted them. She gave them a warm smile. She then walked over to Frank. "So, Francis, how are you feeling about Rosegrave? Are you ready for the exam." She asked him.

"Oh, yeah. Yes." He said half-heartedly.

"You know, you really might enjoy studying there. There are some aspects of the place that are quite unconventional." She told him.

"And the test is at the school, right?" Frank asked her.

"No, no, no. They're testing in various cities around the country. But I volunteered my house for the Bridgeport session. There'll be a few other people there today, including your friend Juliet." Gloria smiled. Frank couldn't help but smile at her name, a warm feeling building in his chest.

"Wonderful." Gloria cheered, not missing the blush on his face when she said her name. She was suspicious of his feelings for Juliet, but his actions just confirmed it for her.

"What about Callie, she spent all summer with you trying to get into Rosegrave?" He asked her.

"She had called me yesterday saying that she chose to go to the local college instead. Something about Chet and her Dad?" Gloria tried to explain.

Frank nodded sadly, remembering what Juliet had told him.

"So, 2:00 at my palace, and don't be late. There are gonna be some members of the board and faculty there, and I want you to make a good impression." Gloria said.

"Okay. All right." Frank chuckled at her excitement.

"All right, sweetheart. See you later. Bye-bye, everyone!" She kissed Frank on the cheek and then waved to everyone.

"Bye, Gloria." Trudy called back.

"Bye, Grandma!" Joe called after her.

She headed out the door and Frank closed it behind her. Frank then walked over with a conflicted face and leaned against the pillar. He still didn't like the idea of going to Rosegrave, it was too far from home...

"Aunt Trudy, are you sure this is a good idea?" He asked her.

"Look, even if you get accepted, you won't start for another year. And hopefully, by then, your dad will be back, and you can make the decision together." Trudy nodded to him. 

"Yeah..." Frank said.

"And hey, keep an open mind.  You know, everyone who went to that school turned out to be a big success." Trudy said.

"And what if I don't want to be a big success? What if I just want my old life back?" Frank recoiled.

"Frank, you already said you would. Not to mention, isn't it a bit too late for your old life, everything's changed. You've made new friends and created new relationships with people." Trudy explained before heading to the kitchen, leaving him and Joe to themselves.