Chapter 2.3 - Where the Light Can't Find You

Juliet's POV

Frank and I were sitting on a loveseat couch away from the lobby. He was reading the newspaper while I was playing chess with myself. We were waiting for Chet to radio us about Shawna's whereabouts.

"Man, some of these articles are wacky." Frank commented.

"How so?" I asked.

"This lady claims to be able to tell you your personality type by using your favorite flower." He scoffs.

"Like a horoscope but worse?" I laughed causing him and laugh and nod.

"What's your favorite flower? Let's test it so we can make fun of it." I smirked, taking the paper from his hand and turning to face him.

"I don't think I have a favorite flower but I guess I like sunflowers." He said, shrugging.

"That's not even listed as an option." I laughed, looking at the article.

"Okay then, what about you? What's yours?" He asked me, taking the paper back.

"A red rose." I stated with a smile.

Frank looked for a second and then started chuckling to himself.

"What? What does it say?" I laughed at him.

"It says you're the most basic person ever and that life isn't interesting for you. You crave unrealistic romance and sit around and watch romance movies all day." He chucked.

"I am anything but basic." I defended. He laughed and rolled his eyes at me playfully.

"I'm offended." I stated, playfully upset.

"Well, let's test the theory in my way then. You tell me why it's your favorite and then I'll tell you if you're basic or not." He challenged.

"Okay, but get ready for a roller coaster. The red rose is my favorite because it's the most contradicting flower in nature." I stated.

"How do you mean?" He asked me.

"Well, first you have its color. When you think of love and romance, you think of red and its shades. But then you think of anger and pain, and you think of red too." I state.

"You... actually have a point..." Frank said.

"Secondly, this flower is popularized for romance and love but it's the most painful flower out there that isn't deadly. It has thorns that grow on it that prick and make you bleed. How do love and thorns fit together?" I finish.

"Wow, you've really thought about this." Frank said.

"You have no idea." I admit.

Frank kept his eyes on me and smiled. "Can I offer a perspective?" He asked.

"Sure, hit me." I said.

"I think it is popular for love because of the thorns." He says.

"What do you mean?" I inquire.

"Well, to get the beautiful flower, someone had to go through the thorn-ridden brush and hold the stem, which has more thorns, in order to cut it off. I think, in the case in my head, love is shown through the rose because the person put their own body at risk to make the other person happy. It shows how much that person means to them. Do you get what I'm saying?" He asked me.

"I do, actually. I never thought about it like that..." I admit, smiling at him.

"I still like your color observation though." He chuckles.

"Red's my favorite color for that exact reason, the hypocrisy of it." I admit.

"Huh, I just realized--" Frank was cut off by the radio going off.