Chapter 8.1 - What Happened in Bridgeport

Juliet's POV

Frank came over to me, I could tell he was worried.

"I'm okay, no concussion. Just literally brain shaken is all." I gave a small laugh but that kinda hurt my chest.

Frank gave me a relieved smile before pulling me into a gentle hug and kissing my head. Butterflies filled my stomach and I blushed, making no effort to hide it.

We both noticed the Chief walking over to the scene and all the butterflies were gone, we both knew that we couldn't trust him...

"Also, you're not out of trouble yet. We're going to have a talk when we get home." He told me with a serious look.

There it is.

I knew he was going to be upset that I distracted the tall man so they could get away. Especially after he told me how much he hates seeing me hurt.

"Don't touch him. What happened?" Collig asked, coming up to us. "My God, Juliet, are you alright?" He asked, noticing my bandages.

I felt bad for not trusting him since I had known him my whole life.

"Yeah, I got lucky." I told him with a nod. I looked over at the tall man and I started to tell him what happened.

"He was chasing us. He was running after Frank and Joe across the street when I tackled him so they could get away. He grabbed me and held me up. That's when the car came and hit us. I was lucky that he was holding me high enough to where I just rolled over but... he wasn't so lucky..." I explained.

"I, I couldn't stop..." The girl who had been driving panicked.

"Well, I'm glad to see that you're alright, Jules. But, he's dead?" He asked, looking at the paramedics beside us.

They nodded and he nodded back before looking back to us and the girl.

"Young lady, you're gonna have to come down to the station with one of these officers. Juliet, boys, you can come along with me." Collig said.

Frank grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. We all walked over to his car, Joe opening the door.

"You think he's dead, dead?" Joe asked us.

"I hope so..." I breathed out, looking at the man still laying on the ground.

Joe got in first and then I followed. Frank helped me into the car, it really hurts to bend in any way. He got in after me, helping me with my seatbelt.

Chief Collig then started the ride to the station.

-----

We were sitting in front of one of the interview desks in the main room. Chief Collig sat across from us, looking at us with a look we couldn't recognize.

"You all were lucky. And I'm glad to see everyone okay. Now... any idea why that guy might have been chasing you in the first place?" He asked us.

"Probably to get revenge for capturing him on the Morton Farm." Joe said, to which both Frank and I nodded.

"Yeah, he kind of came out of nowhere." Frank added.

"'Nowhere.'" Collig repeated, doubtful.

"Nowhere." Frank solidified his answer.

We heard a door close behind us, so we turned in that direction. We saw Jesse come out of the interview room, the same place where Stacy, the girl who was driving, was at.

"Is Stacy okay?" Joe asked Jesse, who came up to the desk to talk with us.

"Yes. She's in there getting checked and giving her statement." She informed us.