Investogation

I was hoping that this break, for once, would be normal. But, of course, it wasn't.
It started with me going home Frank and Matthew. As soon as I got home, I was scheduled to go to a coffee shop with Charlie. It didn't turn out as planned.
First of all, Lily showed up...with Matthew. Apparently Matthew had wanted to come with me, to be with Charlie, and Lily just wanted to come.
Charlie hadn't arrived yet, so I was able to tell at my new brother and best friend in peace, without anyone caring much.
"Jackie, if you want to go out with Charlie, you just need to ask," I told him, a scowl in my face.
"I never said-"
"Save it, Jackie. We're not stupid," I turned to my other friend, "and you, Lily, can hang out with me whenever. I only get to see Charlie two months and a half months every year, so if we plan a coffee lunch, it's supposed to be just is two. You guys can stay until she comes, but as soon as I see her, you're gone. Capiche?"
"Capiche," Matthew and Lily mumbled.
"Good." The three of us sat in silence as the waitress brought us our food.
After a pleasant conversation about the toxins in coffee, I turned to Lily.
"Lils, what time is it?" I asked.
"It is, 7:25 PM," she said, looking at the clock she carried around with her. Don't ask me why she carries around a clock with her, she just does.
I frowned.
"Something's wrong," I said. Lily scoffed.
"How do you know?" It was Matthew who answered.
"Char's never late, ever." I nodded.
"She's five minutes late now. I've never seen her arrive thirty seconds after the appointed time." I told her. Lily grinned and clapped her hands together.
"Does this mean..." she looked at me with a sideways glance," Investigation?" I scowled at her.
"There is something seriously wrong with you," I told her. She shrugged. I sighed.
"But, with all your problems, you're right. We do need to investigate."

"Emily? Charlie?" I called, walking into the bookstore. The sign said it was closed, but the door was unlocked. Another warning signal blared in the back of my mind. I glanced back at my friends, who both wore worried expressions.
I stepped quietly, careful where to put my feet as to not make the floor creak. I rounded a bookshelf, seeing a few book sprawled across the floor. This was incredibly suspicious, and I knew, right then, that this was not, going to be a normal break.
Of course, it wasn't until I heard Lily scream at the top of her lungs, did I realize how abnormal my break was going to be.
I ran over to where she was.
"Lily?" I touched her shoulder. she turned into me, hands on her face. I hugged her, but still couldn't figure out what she had screamed about. But as she adjusted herself in my hug, I saw the lump of a body on the floor.
The old woman's hair was drenched in blood, her blood. I couldn't tell if she was alive or not.
I quickly let go of Lily.
"Jackie, get help!" I said, running over to Emily.

I held her head in my lap, my pants turned crimson almost immediately. I touched around her head to see if I could find the wound, but her entire head was covered in blood, so it was impossible to tell where it all orginated from.

"Lils, get me something metal." I needed to see if Emily was still breathing. Lily didn't respond. I looked over my shoulders. She was still standing near the bookshelf, wide-eyed and horrified. Her eyes flicked back and forth, unsure where to focus .

"Lily!" She snapped from her trance and scarmbled away. I turned my attention back towards Emily.

"You'll be alright, Emily. You can't die on me now." Lily was by my side in seconds. She handed me to metal object, a letter opener. I put the letter opener under Emily's nose, staring at it intently.

"Come on," I breathed.

"What are you doing?" Lily whispered, the fear almost completely gone from her voice. That's how Lily worked. She let fear take her over completely for now more than three minutes. Once those three minutes were over, she was as strong and as brave as an ox. A true Gryffindor.

"The metal fogs up with her breath. We'll know she's breathing if the metal fogs," I told her, not taking my eyes away from the letter opener.

"What do you need me to do?" Lily asked.

"I need Emily to breath," I replied.

"What do you need me to do?" She repeated. I shut my eyes breathing, trying to calm myelf down.

"Um...uh...I need you to find something, anything, on what happened. See if Charlie's still here or not. See if anything was taken. Find something. You wanted to investigate, go do it." Lily was off her knees before I even finished. Just as she left, a tiny bit of the metal opener fogged up. I let out a sigh of relief. She was alive.

I threw the letter opener to the ground, craddeling Emily in my arms.

"You'll be alright. You'rer going to be okay."

Lily's POV:

I thought it best to start with the bookstore, though I highly doubted who ever had hurt Emily was trying to steal a few books.

Turning around a bookshelf, I found a few books scattered across the ground as if they had been pulled off the shelf, opened, then thrown to the ground. I frowned. A few bookshelves down, a book cart had been toppeled over. All the books that had been opened and thrown were about witches, wizards, magic, etc. Whoever was in here was looking for something, something he thought was in the books.

I made my way over to the cashier. It wsn't open, all the money still inside. That was very strange. Why break in and not take the money? A few books on the counter had been opened as well. Everything was looking very strange.

I headed towards the door that lead to Emily and Charlotte's house. I walked up the stairs, which was also filled with books, none of which had been opened, but strewn around as if they had been knocked over.

"Charlie?" I called. No response. I pushed open the door at the top of the stairs. I cringed as it creaked. If someone was still here, they would have defenetly heard that, if they had not been warned by my scream. The first room was the kitchen. The kitchen was a mess. From what Serana had told me about Charlotte and Emily, they were very organized, so this was weird to me.

Bowls and pans were scattered across the white, tiled floor. Spoons, forks, and steak knives had been dumped onto the floor as well. All the cupboards were opened, all the drawers were on the ground. The thing that made me the most supicious, was the knife block. Only only knife was missing, the carving knife. Drops of red were surrounding the knife block. I looked on the ground again.

That was when I saw the blood trail. I scowled and followed it.

What on Earth had happened?

The splatters lead me to a bedroom. Emily and Charlotte's. The door was just barely opened. I pushed it open with two of my fingers, my eyebrows furrowed together. The room was just as trashed as the rest of the house. Books thrown open, drawers hanging from the dressers, clothes on lamps, the matress flipped. The most peculiar thing was the closet. It was thrown open. I walked over to it. It was strangleey organized, except for the far corner. In the far corner lay broken hangers, splintered pieces of wood.

I shuffled the hangers around with my foot. I let out a gasp and fell backwards.

"Serana!" I shouted, "You're going to want to see this."