Do Not Stand

"My babies," Mother whispered, hugging Frank and I in both her arms. Usually, Frank and I would cringe and back away, but not today. Today we hugged her back. It was the least we could do. It was, as you probably imagined, the day of the funeral. I hadn't seen my father's corpse yet. I couldn't bear it, even though we had a memorial for him in one of our rooms. I simply avoided that room. Instead, I spent most of my time in the library, playing the piano.

"Mother," I whispered into her night dress. She pulled away.

"Alright. Get dressed," she said, forcing herself to smile. She patted our cheeks before walking towards her room. Frank and I parted ways without another word.

I examined myself in the mirror, smoothing out my dress. The dress I wore was black, as it should be. It came down past my knees in a small circle. The waist line was a little tight, but I convinced myself I'd manage. The straps were thin and tied in bows. I wore black stockings, and black kitten heels. I had pinned my hair up with a pair of black chopsticks, after, of course, putting some ribbons in it to keep it where it was. The ribbons were not, in fact, black, but dark blue. My father was a Ravenclaw, so I thought it was a good tribute. I did not paint my face with any make-up, but pinched my cheeks to make them redder.

Pleased with my look, I stepped out of my room cautiously, taking each step with care.

"One foot in front of the other," I told myself quietly. Frank waited for me at the bottom of the stairs. He was wearing a normal black suit, with a blue tie. Simple.

"You look nice, Riv," Frank said. I looked at him blankly.

"It's not about me, this is about Dad," I said.

"How can you call him that?" Frank asked, stopping in his tracks.

"How can you not? He is our father, like it or not. He had some explanation of why he left. We'll learn today. Mum said he had a speech that someone is going to read," I told him, "He is our father, like it or not." At that moment, the doorbell rang.

"who is it? I thought everyone was here?" Frank said.

"I needed to invite one more person," i said, walking towards the door.

"Please tell me you didn't-"

"I had to." I opened the door, "Sirius." I hugged him. He hugged me back. When I pulled away from him he handed me a flower. A rose.

"It's to lay at you father's grave. Muggles do it. They lay the flower on the coffin after it's in the ground," He said. He held a rose out to Frank, "I brought one for you and Matthew as well." Frank had his arms crossed.

"Mother won't like you being here," he said. I looked at him, plea in my eyes. He took the flower, "But I kinda like you." He walked over to Sirius and hugged him as well. I giggled. Sirius had not expected that.

'Thank you for coming," he stepped back, 'And thanks for saving my sister." I kissed Frank's cheek as he ran into the backyard. I put my arm around Sirius' waist, and he put his around my shoulder. We both held our roses. We walked into my backyard. Mother saw Sirius and ran over.

"What is he doing here?" She growled. Sirius seemed unfazed.

"I need him, Mother," I said.

"All your friends are here. You don't this boy," she said. I grabbed Sirius' hand.

"Yes, I do." Mother sighed, trying to cool her temper. She walked off.

"I think she's warming up to me," Sirius said. I nodded.

'Me too." We walked over to the group of people.. We were going to bury my father in our backyard, at the edge of the forest. We thought it best.

Wizards do things differently than muggles, as you know, and funerals are no exception. We don't have a pastor come up, we usually have the closest person to the deceased say a few words first, like the things a pastor would at a muggle funeral. So my mother stood at the foot of the coffin.