Wet Dog

A few days after the terrible nightmare, Lily, Ally, Mar, Jinxy, and Charlie came over to my house. I hadn't been able to sleep at all in those few days. My eyes were read and droopy. I spent a lot of the nights reading.
Jackson hadn't gotten any sleep either. Sometimes, he'd come into my room and we'd climb onto the roof and stargaze. Neither of us slept while we were on the roof. Bur it was really good for bonding, I'll admit.
Anyway, the fourth day into summer, my friends came over.
"Lily, Jinxy, Marlene, Ally, you guys remember Charlotte. Charlotte, you remember...them," I introduced. The girls smiled and shook hands. Frank and Jackson walked downstairs.
"Hey girls," Frank said.
"Charlie," Jackson nodded.
"Matt," Charlie smiled.
That night, us six girls sat around the fireplace, listening to the rain pour down outside. We talked and chatted. We avoided the topic of magic, for I hadn't told The others that Charlie.
"So you girls go to the same 'boarding school' as Ana?" Charlie asked. The girls nodded.
"Yeah. It's pretty cool," Jinxy said.
"Rani and I have actually known each other for years, since we were in kindergarten," Lily said.
"Hmm, that's cool."
Soon enough, Charlie and I were the only one's awake.
"So, they're witches too?" She asked. I nodded.
"But you can't let them know I told you. I know I shouldn't be keeping secrets, but this one, this one is cross-houses, or kissing. This is a law. Muggles can't know about us," I pressed. Charlie put her hands up innocently.
"Won't tell a soul. Cross my heart and hope to die," she promised. I Laughed. A knock rang at the door.
"I swear," I growled, "If it's another Death Eater, I'm gonna freak."
The other girls had awaken.
"Who could it be at this hour?" Jinxy mumbled, sitting up. I opened the door, frowning.
"All right, you have exactly three seconds--Sirius. What are you doing here?" Sirius stood outside my door, soaking wet. His clothes were torn. He had a bruise on his cheek and a cut beneath his eye.
"I need to speak to you alone," he said, his voice barley auidable.
"Girls," I called into the house,"Could I have a moment?"
"Who is it?" Marlene grumbled as the girls shuffled off.
"Does it smell like wet dog to you?" Charlie whispered to Lily.
I took hold is Sirius' hand.
"What's wrong?" I asked, "Who did this to you?"
I touched his cut. He flinched.
"They did it. They finally did it," he croaked. I frowned.
"What are you talking about?"
"My parents. They finally kicked me out. I haven't a place to go," he whimpered.
"What about James'?"
"It's too far away. And I cant...I'm not thinking right," he said. I kissed his cheek.
"Alright. Lets clean you up some and we'll talk, aye?" He nodded.

Sirius sat on the couch. I knelt on the ground beside him. I dabbed his eye with a wet cloth. He hissed.
"Shh, I know it hurts," I said. He calmed instantly. His face was completely calm.
"How are you so calm? When my dad left, I was a wreck. You're entire family just turned their back on you, how are you still working?" I asked him. he turned his head to the side. I lowered my hand.
"It's hard. I just don't want to cry in front of you," he whispered.
"You can, if you'd like. I won't judge," I told him. He immediately slid off the couch and buried his face into the book of my neck. His arms snaked around my waist. I was shocked at first, but I regained my composure and pulled him closer to me.
He cried on my shoulder. He sobbed and sniffled and cried I could feel his tears run down my pajama shirt and down my chest and back. I ran my fingers through his hair.
"Shh. Shh. It's okay. I promise, I'm here." I kissed his head. I felt tears brim the edges of my eyes.
How could a family do this to their son? Sirius was so kind and selfless. He was gentle and loving. He was brave. How could that make him a disgrace?
I held Sirius close to me for what seemed like years. I was willing to hold him as long as he needed me to. He cried and cried and cried. He squeezed my waist like his life depended on it.
We didn't speak. I didn't want to. He couldn't.
From behind me, I heard a yelp and the sound of bodies hit the hardwood floors. I turned my head. My five friends lay on top of each other, on the ground. I rated cooly at them. Charlie cringed.
"I had to pee," she admitted. I chuckled. Sirius rubbed his eyes on my shirt. He looked up, pretending not to have been crying.
"Sirius?" A voice asksd. It was Frank. He stood at the top if the stairs. He looked as if he'd been there a while.
"You mind if I talked to you for a second?" Frank strode downstairs. Sirius nodded and stood up. He followed, casting one last glance my way.
I stood as well and headed towards my friends.
"What happened?" Lily asked. I glanced at Charlie.
"Come on, you can tell me. I spent everyday for a month with that dude. We almost got married. You can tell me," Charlie scoffed.
"He just got disowned," I told then reluctantly. Marlene and Jinxy gasped.
"That's terrible," Alice said. I nodded. I know. I looked back and saw Sirius and Frank talking seriously. Sirius also looked back. We stared at each other. I catch one thing that Frank said.
"It's now or never."