Chapter 25

The journey to Mavis's kingdom was long. Especially for the small merchant boat. We circled the sea, making our way back home. We finished the journey on foot. It ended with Charles and I crashing at the castle gate. We dropped to our knees. Our bodies were exhausted. There were moments in the journey where I didn't think we would make it. The land and sea were both brutal to us.

Guards drew their swords at us. We displayed our empty hands.

"State your business. Or face the wrath of my sword."

"Please. We're friends of the princess." I stated.

"You two? Friends of the princess? HA! You look like nothing but two common peasants!"

"EXCUSE YOU! I'll have you know that my FATHER is-" Charles began, his feathers ruffled.

"Stop! Let them through!" A familiar voice said.

It was my best friend. Her hair was long and recovered from her previous aggressive botched haircut. Her dress was pink like her rosy cheeks. She was clean and full of gems from head to foot.

"Your majesty, who are these two?" The guard lowered his sword.

"It's Sir Charles, and my husband. Open the gates. Now." She demanded.

The guard did as she commanded, despite their hesitation.

We watched the medal bars rise, granting us access to the palace grounds. Mavis rushed over to me and greeted me with a tight hug.

"Zander. I can't believe it's really you! Your arms! You've gotten so strong!" She said, studying me.

"Where's my hug, Mavie?"

She released me and gave Charles a light hug.

"It's good to see both of you alive. I didn't know if I'd ever see you again..."

"Well, were here. The journey was long, but we made it home. Finally."Charles said.

"Are your parents alright with me being here?" I asked Mavis.

"You don't have to hide here, Zander. Vendov made an offer to my parents, but they denied it! They're going to join the efforts to fight them with us! Isn't that great?"

"That's amazing. The support of Belmonte will definitely give us some ground to stand on." I told her.

"We're going to plan that out after dinner. But first, you both need a bath. I can smell you from a foot away." She scrunched her nose.

We followed her inside to the grounds. The castle was made of a creamy marble. Soft pink flowers grew all around the castle grounds. The mountains watched over us in the distance. Belmonte was truly beautiful. Even the clouds seemed softer in Belmonte.

Mavis led us to the throne room. Her parents sat tall on their chairs. The throne room was decorated with pastel pink and gold accents. Her mother's hair flowed down the side of head, twisting into a braid. Her hair was darker than her father's. Her father had a face full of a blonde beard. It was well groomed. The light colored crown almost blended into his golden hair. Their lines on their faces showed ages of ruling.

They rose for our presence. The palace was heavily armed with buff guards patrolling the castle. Their defenses were strong, and I was already imagining a strong victory with the help of Belmonte.

"King Zander Bray." Mavis's mother greeted. It felt like it had been ages since I had been called king.

I kneeled to her.

"Your majesty's. Thank you for letting us into your castle and being an ally for Lafayette."

"Mavis thought it was best. We couldn't agree more." Her father spoke.