Chapter 40

The next morning Johnny, Charles, and Daniel left the safety of the palace and galloped out to Belmonte's countryside. The three of them split up, each going to a major town in Belmonte. Orion and I had our work cut out for us. There were more people to train to fight, all at different experience levels. We found it most efficient to train the newest recruits in the morning, and the experienced loyalists in the afternoon. Mavis joined the morning session.

A few days in, it was late afternoon. Orion and I began to put our gear away. The loyalists began to head inside for dinner, and the Belmonte residents returned to their homes. A gentle voice spoke behind me.

"King Zander." I turned. It was Galen. They were dressed in a wispy purple dress.Their hair hung down their back.

"Galen, hello. I've been planning to speak with you when I had the time. Mavis suggested us heading up to the mountains for training. Not a lot of people out there usually." I said.

"Sounds like a brilliant idea." Galen said softly. We agreed to begin training once Johnny and Daniel had returned to keep the loyalists occupied.

The week went by rather quickly. Johnny had returned first with her group from Parlton. Daniel and Charles had not returned yet, but their destinations were farther.

Johnny took over training once more, allowing Galen and I to head towards the mountains with little suspicion. We went in deep to the valley of mountains. Galen was quiet for the majority of the journey down. Nestled behind mountains was a cave that provided enough coverage.

"This spot should be alright. We have coverage from all angles." I stopped and spun in a small circle, ensuring we could not be observed.

"Please, take off your shirt. And remind me again about your abilities." Galen said in their calm voice.

I did as they asked. I began pulling off my shirt, revealing the emerald dragon scale embedded into my chest.

"I traveled to the Calkhorn desert in search of something that could help me. I almost died out there, but I was healed by a dragon who could speak to me. It sounds delusional, I know." I said.

"Please continue." They said, examining the scale.

I took a deep breath and told them everything. I told them about the illusion the dragon put me in and how real it felt. I told them about my potential connection to the dragon that the whyrm dragon told me about. I rescued the body and soul, but Samuel had rescued the mind. It was unclear who had a stronger connection to it. I told them about my wound, and how it was replaced with a scale of the whrym dragon. I then told them in detail about Samuel's attack.

"A witch awoke the first dragon, you say?" Galen asked, back tracking to the beginning.

"Yes. Samuel knew her. She put the three pieces together and gave it life."

"That is very complicated to do. Do you remember the witch?"

"She was from Samuel's home. I believed he called her Miss Delphine." I said, remembering the old, skinny woman.

"Miss Delphine is a very powerful individual. Unfortunate that she is on their side. But fortunately for you, you have an individual who is just as powerful." Galen said.

"You? You have powers?"

"Yes. I prefer to use mine for healing purposes only, but war may need more than healing."

They dropped down to the ground and sat with their legs crossed. A chilly breeze drifted past us. Summer was coming to an end.

"I've only turned once. When Samuel attacked Belmonte. I haven't felt anything close to that feeling since then."