Chapter 55

Orion and I hoovered over the man on the floor and lifted him up.

His body was limp.

"Someone! Help the king!" Orion yelled.

Two servants rushed in and whisked him away in a matter of moments.

"Your majesty! Can you hear us? Your majesty?" They said as they dragged him away.

We were left alone in his chambers.

"I will go with them. Perhaps I can be useful." Galen said before following them. Orion and I were left in the king's quarters, unsure of what to do.

"What happened?" I asked Orion for his thoughts.

"I'm not sure. It seems that his health is unwell. He is old."

"Did we do this to him?"

"It wasn't us, Zander. He would have found out soon, regardless if we were the ones to tell him."

Darlington was a peaceful kingdom. I didn't want it to be corrupted. I couldn't imagine anyone in Darlington would support us after they thought we killed their king.

Orion studied me, seeing me lost in my worrisome thoughts. When I was drowning in them, he pulled me up for air.

He touched my shoulder. I turned to face him.

I don't know what had come over me. Perhaps it was the crave of comfort I longed for. Perhaps it was because I had feelings for Orion I could no longer overcome. I pushed my head onto his chest in an embrace.

"Sorry. I don't know why-." I tried to dart back.

He put his arms around me and pulled me in. His chest was so warm. It felt like a fire on a cold, winter night. I didn't want to leave his arms, and for once, I wasn't scared of being there.

The door opened without warning. I retreated from Orion.

"You are being summoned." A servant said.

We followed them down the stairs and to the other wing of the castle.

The door opened. Galen and another man I did not recognize stood over the king. He was in a bed.

"I'm alright I said!" The king said to the other man.

"Hello, I'm the palace doctor." The man greeted.

"Is be alright?" I asked the doctor.

"I said I'm fine! And that means I'm fine. Doctor, please give us a moment."

The doctor bowed and followed his king's orders.

He was laying on his back in the bed. Color was returning to his face.

"Sir I'm-"

The door bursted open.

"I came as soon as I heard! My gods, you look worse than I imagined! What did these damned fools do to you?"

A young man rushed to the side of the king. He was close to my age. His hair was dark, he had olive colored skin. He as wearing Darlington armor.

"Oh, Timothy! They didn't do a damn thing to me. I'm fine. I just had a little chest pain is all."

The man named Timothy thrned his focus on us. A vein was popping out of his forehead.

"You! You hurt him! You tried to kill him!"

"Enough with these wild accusations, Timothy! They did nothing of the sort!"

"Why don't you see? You were fine until these strangers got here!"