Chapter 29

His words felt unreliable.

"You mean to say you're the Vendov King's son?" I questioned.

"Yes. Unfortunately, I am."

I looked at Mavis in confusion. What he was saying couldn't possibly be true.

"Is that possible?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I've heard he has a few children."

"Why are you here, if you are who you say you are?"

"I am here to support you in your fight against my father."

I lowered my sword.

"Why would you do that?"

"My father is a terrible man, and a terrible leader. His empire must come to an end."

"So you came all this way? To help us?" Mavis asked.

"Yes, your majesty." He said.

"Does the Vendov king take us as fools? Sending us another 'ally'? We will not fall for it this time."

"I understand your caution. But I can assure you I want nothing but to destroy my father and his empire."

"Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Zander, will you take him to the dungeon?" Mavis requested.

I agreed and drew my sword. Orion came with me with no resistance.

He extended his arms towards me in the basement, allowing me to cuff him. I rolled up his sleeves, revealing long and jagged scars he had all the way down his arms. I quickly looked away from them.

"You don't have to put them on so tight, I have no plans of escaping."

"We'll see about that." I said, latching his cuffs tight. He didn't fight. He didn't resist. He said patiently on the cold dungeon floor.

I returned to Mavis and the throne room.

"Well? We can't let him stay, right?"

"I don't know, Mavis."

"What does that mean? This is obviously another trap!"

"Does the Vendov king really think we're stupid enough to fall for the same play twice?"

"He just might. He might be here to steal our secrets then report back to his father. We can't allow that!"

"We won't allow that. No matter if he's lying or not. But I don't know, my gut is telling me that he isn't lying."

"Isn't lying? Do you just have a soft spot for the men that Vendov sends for you?" Mavis said.

"Remember, I'm the one who didn't trust Samuel when he first got here. You did. I also trusted Daniel before you did."

Mavis went to speak but her words fell flat. She knew I was right.

"You're right. I'm sorry. I just don't see how this can be good for us."

"It can be very good for us, actually. If he is telling the truth, he'll tell us everything he knows about his father and Vendov. We would have an advantage."

"Perhaps, but if he's lying he could give our secrets away to his father."

"We have to test him somehow. Something to reveal his true intentions." I said.

The remembrance of a debt fluttered through my mind.

"I may have an idea. I don't know how well it will work, but it's worth a shot."

"What is it?" Mavis asked.

With my thumb of my other hand, I pushed down on the bite that the fire fairy had left on my wrist.

"Well?" Mavis said after a moment of silence.

I expected a swarm of fire fairies to fly through the door like a swarm of angry bees. But there was no one. I pushed down on my bite mark again, attempting to summon them once more.

"I don't understand." I said. Perhaps the fire fairies lied. In the library, I had learn that they were mischievous. Perhaps it wasn't Vendov propaganda after all.

Suddenly, a flight of fire fairies fluttered outside one of the windows.

"Lee! It's me! Alev!" Alev said through the glass.

"I was afraid you weren't coming." I spoke to the floating flame, unlatching the window.

Mavis's mouth was open.

"What. What is that?" She stepped closer, examining them closely.

"Fire fairies." I said.

"We are here to repay your debt! What do you need from us, Lee?" Alev squeaked.

"I need you to fly to Vendov. I need to know about someone."

"Vendov? How could you send us back there? The king is evil! He tells everyone we're pests!" Alec's wings fluttered faster in aggression.

"I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important. I need to know about a man named Orion."

The fire fairies gasped.

"Orion? The prince of Vendov?"

"So he is real. Yes. Come back and tell me everything you find out about him. Please."

"We can't! We're going to get captured again!"

"I will free you."

Alev's bug like wings began to slow down.

"Promise?"

"I promise. I just need to know if the Vendov king hates his son. If what his son says is true."

"We will do our best to be quick." Alev said.

"Thank you."

The flight of fairies took off, disappearing out the castle window.

"Why does the Vendov king hate them? They're extraordinary." Mavis said.

"Why does he want an empire? He seems to hate any defiance of his power. It would make sense if he can't stand his own son for that reason."

"Are you sure the fire fairies are reliable?" Mavis asked.

"They are our best option right now. I saved them once, I hope they return the favor."

It was almost an hour until they returned.

"Lee! I have news!" Alec squeaked.

"What is it? Is he telling the truth."

"The Vendov king disowned his son. He hates him. The king said it himself."

"Even if it's true, how can we be sure that that's really him? Not a lier?"

"We heard people in the castle talking about how he beats his children. His son has scars all over his body."

"Orion has scars. I saw it on his arms." I spoke up, looking at Mavis.

"Thank you, Alev. Your debt is repaid."

"Thank you again, Lee. Let's go!" The fairies flew out the window, leaving me and Mavis alone once more.

"He may be useful to us." I said.

She took a deep breath and released it.

"I'm just afraid of what happened last time happening again."

"I will watch him. He will not piss without me knowing." I assured her.

"Fine. Get him. Speak with him." I said.

I took a lantern and returned to the basement with keys.

"What are you doing down here already? Ready to execute me?"

"Not yet." I said. I released Orion from the chains that confined his wrists and ankles.

"You believe me?" He said.

"I think there's truth to your words." I kneeled down to him.

"But let me be very clear. If you do anything, anything to betray me, I will slice your head clean off and drop it at the gate of your father's castle."

"I wouldn't want anything less. Except perhaps my father's head rolling next to mine."