Chapter 51

"You may come if you want, but I can't stay here." I told Galen.

"I can continue my studies anywhere, although I'm not sure I'm needed."

"What do you mean?"

"I apologize, but I don't seem to fit in well with your crew."

"Of course you do. We need you Galen, don't doubt that. I am sorry if I have ever made you feel inadequate. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for you."

Galen lowered their head. My words didn't seem to bring them any comfort or reassurance.

"A lot of people in my home thought I was a strange witch. It resulted in me spending a lot of time alone. Perhaps I never really got used to being around people. Perhaps I don't know how."

"You don't have to hide who you are. Be yourself. We are happy to have you." I explained to them.

Their head slowly perked up, their eyes met mine.

"To Dewsbury, then?"

It wasn't a journey I looked forward to. The winds were becoming colder, the leaves were falling from the trees. We packed warmer layers to prepare.

"It's getting cold! Why can't we be going somewhere warm? The ocean in Dewsbury will be freezing!" Charles said, mounting his horse.

"You could always stay here. The queen will miss your company." I said,

"You know what? She does need me. I should stay here and wait for Johnny to come." He said, jumping off the horse.

Galen, Orion and I departed after Charles made his decision to stay. Charles presence would be less missed, but traveling in smaller numbers through Lafayette didn't sound like a good idea. I had hoped we'd seem invisible passing through.

My fingers kept stuffing up on the reigns from the cold. I would have to stop and warm them up every so often.

"Here. I brought a spare." Orion reached in his pack and pulled out a brown pair of gloves.

"Thank you." I stopped my horse and slipped them onto my hands.

"I think winter will be coming soon, sooner than we wish." Galen said, holding up their gloved hand to the cold air.

"We are running out of time for all of this." I said in frustration.

"Wars can take years, decades. Do not get discouraged." Galen said.

"We don't have years. We don't have enough people or supplies."

"That's why allies are important. I hope that we can convince Dewsbury to join us as fast as Naporia did." Orion said.

"Naporia only joined us because of the attack." I said.

I thought of the prophecy. I wasn't the only one riding on our success. Queen Lapin put the date of her kingdom into my hands, as did Mavis. My journey had been long, and I fortunately met a lot of kind people along the way that were willing to support our battle, but how long could they do that for? Where would the line be drawn?

"Do you know anything about the Dewsbury king?" I asked Orion.

"From what I know, he's old. I am unsure how many children he has, if any."

"That could lead to instability." I stated.

"I know. The potential instability could cause his reluctance to join, but we have to try." He said.

We spent several days traveling out of Naporia. We rested as much as we could, knowing that we would need to be on high alert throughout Lafayette.

"I think it's best we travel though the woods. Less people, less risk." Orion said, pointing on a map.

Lafayette was the kingdom with the densest forests throughout the land. Memories of Samuel and I retrieving the soul. It felt like an entirely different lifetime.

"The forests can be dangerous. Let me see your map." I took it from his hands and examined it.

"We have to go through Darlington before we get to Dewsbury, why don't we go to the Darlington castle instead? See if they will ally with us?"

"Dewsbury is going to be attacked first and Darlington always follows Dewsbury's lead. We need to go there first."

"It's so far. By the time we make it there then all the way back to Belmonte, it will be winter. Darlington is closer." I debated.

"Perhaps flying would be faster." Orion suggested.

I turned my head to look at him in confusion.

"What are you saying?"

He sighed.

"Perhaps Galen was right. Perhaps we should have ensured you figured out your abilities before starting this."

"They told you?" I looked at them.

"They just wanted to help. I feel like we're going in blind, just like we have every other time. The dragon only comes out when someone is close to dying."

"You both act like this is easy. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to control it. I wish I did. I wish I could just fly our asses out to Dewsbury, right now like Samuel can! But I fucking can't!" My hand explored my chest over my coat. I could feel the ridged in the dragon stone through the layers over my chest.

"I think the Whrym dragon was mistaken. He should have given it to someone else. I don't know what I'm doing with it, and I don't deserve it's power."

"The dragon scale..It is apart of the dragon. Perhaps that's the answer!" Galen shrieked with excitement.

"What?" I said.

"Quick. I think we should stop for the night. I have an idea that might work."

"There's a town a few miles up, still in Naporia. Close to the boarder, though. Perhaps we can find an Inn to stay in tonight."

Galen remained giddy on the way to the inn. The town was quaint with a minimal lineup of shops, followed by a range of houses spread throughout. We tied our horses up front.

A woman with a square face and freckles greeted us.

"Hello. We're looking for a room for the night. Just passing through." I said, setting a handful of coins down.

"Three of you? Unfortunately we only have one room available tonight." She said in a shrill voice.

"That'll do. Thank you, dear." Galen said with a smile.

"Can I get a name, please?" She asked, logging out information on parchment.

"My name is Lee." I said.

"I'll be right back with your key." She said after finishing.

"Lee, huh?" Orion said to me quietly.

She returned with our key. It was oversized on a loop made of iron. She stuffed it into my hand after taking the coin.

"Enjoy your evening." She said, dismissing us.

We unlocked the room and dislodged our pack off our backs. It was quaint, matching the rest of the boarder town.

"One bed, huh? This'll be fun." Orion said with a smirk.