Chapter 35

"Why, thank you, your majesty. Apologies for the delay in my arrival." He said. He appeared to be an austere man. His hair as slicked back. His appearance was clean.

He sat across the table from Charles. I looked at him, he avoided all possible eye contact with the man across from him.

"Wine for you, Sir Barke?" Mavis asked.

"Would love some." He replied, peering down at his son.

"Hello, Charles." He said.

"Hello, father." Charles didn't lift his head.

"I didn't know you were back in Belmonte." His father's aggressive gaze didn't move from his son.

"Charles hadn't visited you yet? That surprises me." Mavis said, looking at Charles.

"Pardon me, I didn't get your title." I said to him, attempting to remove the pressure from Charles.

"Sir Barke. Nobleman of Taxes. As for you?" He said with his death stare at me.

"King Zander Bray of Lafayette." I said.

"Ah, dear Mavis's husband. I heard it was quite a wedding." He said.

"It was quite grand." I said.

"Your mother always did throw the best parties, didn't she?" He said, his fingers tapping his glass.

"I believe the roast turkey is done. I'll have it brought out now." Mavis said.

We were served turkey, potatoes, and carrots. It was cooked and seasoned well. Most of the men engaged in pleasant conversation, except Sir Barke. He cut his turkey into bits as he stared at Charles. Charles sat with his head down, refusing to exchange eye contact with his abusive father.

"Your majesty, rumor has it you and King Zander have a daughter?" Sir Allis said.

"Yes. We do. She is quite sweet. Except when she's woken up. She gets quite fussy then." Mavis said with a smile.

"What's her name?" Another man asked.

"She is Princess Opal Bray." She said.

"What a fitting name for a princess of Belmonte!" The majority of the men agreed.

"Yes. Thank you. She is rather marvelous." Mavis's smile could not fade when talking about her daughter.

"Seems a lot has happened to you since we've seen you last, you aren't going to ask what happened to your kingdom while you were away?" Sir Barke said.

Mavis set her fork and knife down.

"That's actually why I had called you here. I know there has been some changes in the past few months. I wanted to talk to the men of Belmonte about them. My parents have unfortunately abandoned their role as king and queen when the castle was under attack. King Zander and I have rightfully taken the roles in their place. Belmonte is an ally to Lafayette, and I would like you all to rally behind me in support of us, and of Belmonte."

"Excuse me, your majesty, but what Lafayette? Vendov destroyed it. For a long time, we believed both of you were dead."

"Lafayette is alive. King Zander and his people are alive. Therefore, as is Lafayette."

"According to your parents, we allied with Vendov to save Belmonte."

"My parents are no longer the rulers of Belmonte. I am the queen and Zander is the king."

Sir Barke learned back in his seat.

"I can't be the only one to find this a bit confusing? Your parents made a deal with Vendov to keep us and the people safe, now you want us to join a war to fight for a kingdom that doesn't exist?"

A few of the men gave slight nods to Sir Barke in agreement to the points he was making.

"Sir Barke, I assure you I am doing this out of the best interest of our people. Vendov is a terrible tyrant to his people. He would try to take over our kingdom as well and do the same thing that he does to our people."

"How could you possibly know that, your majesty?"

Orion spoke up.

"I know. I lived in Vendov my entire life and I can assure you he is aggressive and does not care about his people. All he cares about is power." Orion said.

"And just exactly who are you?" Sir Barke raised an eyebrow.

"I am Orion, son of the Vendov king. I am here to help Belmonte and Lafayette in the war efforts against my father."

"Now we got a Vendov spy at the table? Your majesty, you can't believe this man." He crossed his arms.

There was chatter that had begun amongst the gentleman.

"I assure you he is not a spy. He would not have made it to this table if he was." Mavis defended him.

"Pardon me if this all seems a bit confusing. And, to be frank, a bit ridiculous, your majesty." He said, reaching for his wine.

"I understand how this can be a lot to handle. It is overwhelming. But believe me when I say I have the people of Belmonte in mind with only the best intentions."

"How? You haven't been here for over a year. You just came back one day with a child."

"That does not make me any less of a royal." Mavis said.

"It may not, but that doesn't mean you know what's going on with your people. They are scared. Their king and queen disappeared, and we haven't heard a single word from you until now. People act out in fear." He said.

"People have been fighting each other for food. Some incidences have gotten violent." He said.

"Belmonte grows plenty of food for our people. Why would they turn to violence?"

"Out of fear, your majesty. It is true." Spoke up one of the other men.

Sir Barke switched his eyes from Mavis to his son. Charles didn't break from looking at his plate.

"In fact, someone attacked the bakery here in town. Beat the baker up, and burned the place down." Sir Barke's mean eyes beaded down at his son.

Charles looked up for the first time, looking into his father's violent eyes.

"That's terrible. Did the baker survive?" Mavis asked.

"Only the son was there. He was beat, before his bakery was lit to flames with him in it. The father survived, can't say as much for his son. A shame, the bread there was quite good. Wouldn't you agree, Charles?" His father's gaze did not break.

Charles eyes became red and puffy.

"I apologize, your majesty. I need to be excused." Charles dropped his napkin on his plate and walked out of the room.

"Typical Charles, getting worked up over some burned bread." Sir Barke said, lifting up his wine glass with an evil grin.