Chapter 42

I bolted into the rain as Orion requested. The rain immediately soaked me.

"What's wrong?" I said.

"One of the horses got away. We need to go get her."

"I can get her." I said, untying up another horse.

I got on her wet back and rode into the darkness searching for a startled horse.

After riding down the road north for a bit, I found her. I had little difficulties roping her and bringing her back.

"Zander, you got her! You were so fast, I didn't even have a chance to follow you."

"It wasn't hard. She was just a bit spooked down the road." I hopped off my horse and returned them to the tree.

"You should rest." I told him.

"Alright. Let me know if you need help with your next wild horse chase."

"I think I can handle it." I said.

He entered the tent and turned in for the night.

I was tired the next morning. The rain had slowed, but the clouds didn't leave. They looked over us, almost like a warning for what was ahead.

"It was impossible sleeping with all that sound!"

"The thunder?" Galen asked Charles.

"No. Orion's snoring! Shook my tent!" He huffed.

"Oh, that was Orion? I thought it was you!"

"Me! ME! I'll have you know I am a perfect bed partner! I hardly move in my sleep let alone snore!" Charles defended.

"The thunder was quite bothersome, but it could not compare to the sounds coming from Orion's tent."

The sky was kinder to us. After several more days of travel, we made it to the castle of Naporia.

It was night when we arrived. The moon was full and white. It brightened up the rest of the dark sky.

There was a glimmering in the distance. The moon proudly beamed down on the crowning jewel of Naporia; the crystal castle.

"Wow. It's stunning." Galen said in awe.

A twisted stone path led to the guarded gates. Even those were beautifully crafted, with a crystal pattern etched into it.

"I don't think it's that impressive." Charles said.

I approached the gate and called to the other side.

"Who dares to disturb the queen?" A rough voice grunted on the other side of the gate.

"My name is King Zander Bray and my team. I have requested an audience with the queen."

"Hmm. We have been expecting you, don't you think it's a bit late to arrive and request a meeting?" He said.

"I apologize, the weather set us a little behind schedule. Please, we will be nothing but respectful." I said.

Be grunted and lowered the crystal gate. The guards swarmed us like hungry bees.

"We mustn't be too careful. Proceed." He said, allowing us to enter.

The landscaping was breathtaking. Everything was accented with crystals, even the trees. The moon's light reflected off the beautiful crystals, creating a radiant glow.

Inside was just as marvelous. The throne room was large and decorated with crystals and glass sculptures. The throne sat on top of a tall set of stairs, separating the queen from her commoners. I could only imagine how small we looked from up top. Above us hung a chandelier that made the throne room sparkle.