Chapter 48

I never thought I would see his face again. His brown eyes were full of light still. His hair was much more tussled than the last time I had saw him. A couple minor cuts were etched into his face.

My stomach dropped like a sinking ship when he looked up at me.

"Lee?" He said in his soft voice.

"Do you know this man?" The Naporia guard glared at me. Orion studied me.

"No. No. He must be mistaken. Can we talk outside for a moment?" I asked in the sturdiest voice I could muster.

The guard nodded and told the other guards to watch him until we had returned.

We stepped in the hall together, along with Orion.

"Where did you find him?" I asked the guard, doing my absolute best to remain calm.

"Hiding in the stables. A guard found him while patrolling."

"And you think he's been here since the attack?"

"Seems that way. I am more than happy to hurt him until he tells us why he's here." The guard made a fist.

"No, don't! We will handle this." I said.

"Sir, I would strongly advise you-." The guard started.

"Did you not hear the queen? Should I go tell her you are defying her once more? I'm sure she'd love having to come all the way from her chambers to discipline you. I'm sure she'd take an easy on you, don't you think?" Orion defended me.

The guard furrowed his eyebrows then gave a sharp look at Orion before returning to me.

"Fine. Men! Let's go. We will return in the morning." He huffed.

The three of them left, the guard shooting a sharp glare at us as we walked away.

"I don't recognize him. He must not be very high ranking." Orion said studying Carlo's face.

I internally argued whether I should tell Orion who he was. Perhaps he'd understand, or would he? I wondered what he would do in a similar position. Would he let him go? Or would he want him to suffer regardless? The queen finding out about my past love for a Vendov solider would only cause further conflict.
I also knew that I didn't want to lay a hand on him. I couldn't lay a hand on him, or let anybody else hurt him.

"Let me go in there first."

"You don't want to go in there together? I think we'd be safer that way." Orion said.

"I don't think he's capable of hurting anyone."

"You can't be so sure. Vendov soldier's are ruthless. Just because he seems nice doesn't mean that he is."

Orion made me wonder about Carlo. Perhaps he was right. Was Carlo vicious? Did I even really know him? I tried to convince myself that Orion was right, but I knew Carlo. I couldn't imagine doing anything harmful to anyone. He was always so soft and kind.

Yet, I also thought that if Samuel. Perhaps handsome faces blurred my judgement.

"Orion, please. Trust me. Even if you want to only give me five minutes with him. Let me have it." I requested.

"Why are you being strange?"

"I'm not. Just trust me. Please." I begged.

I looked into Orion's eyes. He looked back into mine.

"Fine. Five minutes to do whatever you are up to." He said firmly.

"Thank you, Orion."

I abandoned him outside the door. I entered and turned towards the man in the chair. The door made a loud thump behind me as I closed it. We were finally alone.