Chapter 3

"It's a girl, we have a daughter." Said Daniel, holding the small, bald baby in his hands. It was covered in blood and other bodily fluids. He washed her off and wrapped her into a blanket. Mavis's breathing began to return to normal. He brought the baby over to her. The baby cried loudly.

"She's beautiful." Daniel cried, beaming down at their new born.

The baby's eyes were blue. She had Daniel's chin, and Mavis's light hair, for what little hair the baby had.

"Do you want to hold her, Zander?" Mavis said.

I got a bit nervous, I had never held a baby before.

"Of course."

Daniel passed me the small baby.

"Support the head." Mavis reminded me.

I held her. She was so little. So innocent. Her crying had stopped. She reminded me of all those orphans. I'd pray that she wouldn't meet the same fate as they did.

"She's amazing. Have you guys named her?"

"We think so." Said Mavis.

"Her name is Opal Daniela Cohen Blackwater. We didn't know whose last name she should take, so she has both. For now." Mavis explained.

"That's a perfect name."

"Thank you."

If we were in our kingdom, the baby would have a party and a royal announcement. She would be the most protected person in the land. Now she had to live a life on the run. Because of me. I had to correct it. She couldn't grow up like that. With both her parents in danger.  I returned her to her glowing parents.

"Zander. I know you haven't been around babies much. But if anything ever happens to us-." Mavis started.

"No, don't say that." I stopped her.

"If anything does. Please take care of her and raise her. I know you'll look out for her."

"I will do whatever it takes for her." I told him.

"Thank you." They snuggled their baby. I tried to give them any privacy possible and walked away.

"Someone better clean those sheets soon, what a mess." Is all Charles had to say. He was lucky I didn't knock him out.

I made the decision I was going to leave. I had to find some way to defeat Samuel. Another magical creature, or a way to take the dragon back. The dragon could easily destroy armies.

Later that night, Daniel was rocking the baby. Mavis was still resting in bed. I approached her.

"How are you feeling?" I sat down next to her.

"Feels like I pushed out a child, otherwise I'm alright."

It was odd to think about Mavis had been with all of us, even though I wouldn't really count our sexual advances. Maybe that's why Charles was so rude. Perhaps he was jealous. Daniel was strong, kind, and handsome. It's everything she deserved.

"That's good. You have a beautiful family."

"Thank you."

"I wanted to tell you. I think I'm going to leave." I told her.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"I don't know yet. I can't sit around here anymore. Samuel talked about how he studied and learned about different kingdoms and dragons in his travels. I need to find out how. I need to find a way to make things right."

"There's a grand library. I haven't been there, but I've heard it's massive. You can learn anything."

"That sounds perfect. Where is it?"

"That's the issue. Its in the Vendov kingdom. The library of Venus."

"That would explain why Samuel had such easy access to it. Of course." I said.

"I don't know if it's the best idea to go there. That's right into enemy territory. That's extremely dangerous. If they find you they will kill you. They don't want to have any loose ends."

"It's what I have to do. I'll head out tomorrow."

"Zander, perhaps think more before you decide." Mavis said.

"I don't see a point in waiting any longer. I've wasted enough time. Please consider writing to your parents and see if they will protect you and your family."

"I don't want you to leave again. You have a life here." She said.

"A life? This isn't living. I accept my fate. I have to avenge my parents. My kingdom."

"Hunting Samuel won't bring them back, or your kingdom." Mavis folded her arms.

"I don't want to hurt him, I want to end him. And his commander, the Vendov king. That will bring back my kingdom."

She sighed.

"Is there no convincing you out of this?"

"No. I have to do this. By myself."

"If you insist. I'm scared for you. They're dangerous enemies."

"I know. I just have to. It's my purpose now. Please stay safe, Mavis."

"I will. Zander, please be safe. Please write to me when you get the chance."

"I will."

She hugged me. I remember saying goodbye last time when I foolishly joined up with Samuel. It felt worse this time. I was alone. I was leaving her again. Both times she's had Daniel by her side, which I am grateful for. She had a family to look out for, I had nothing.

"Please bring Charles with you." She whispered as I hugged her.

"Not a chance." I said pulling away.
Daniel gave me a knife and his bow to bring with me. I refused, but he insisted. He said he could go into town and get another.

"Thank you, Daniel." I said.

"You're going to need it."

"I have something to ask. What happened to the men? That were coming this way?" I asked him.

"They won't be coming back. I'll do whatever to protect my family. To protect Mavis."

He showed me his bloody sword from his sheath.

"Who were they?" I asked.

"I don't know, but they were wearing black and gold. Vendov uniforms. I don't know what they're doing all the way out here but they won't be coming back. If they catch you, they'll kill you. Not quickly either. You'll be at the mercy of the king, or Samuel."

"I know. I'll be careful." I told him.

"You should also get some training before you try to fight anyone. Seek out Johnny Torres of Lafayette. That's who I learned everything I know from. I trained in Urella, a small boarder town south of here on the edge of Layfatette and Naporia. I learned everything there. If the town isn't completely wiped out."

"Johnny Torres. Will do. Thank you, Daniel. For everything. If I restore my kingdom, you will be the highest appointed knight possible."

"That's a nice dream. I can't believe ten months ago I was the head guard who fell in love with the queen. I admired you, King Zander. I was afraid I had broken your trust."

"I have nothing but trust and respect for you. Take care of them."

"I will." He lightly nodded.

I packed some of the food we had, Mavis gave me what little money they had. I resisted and returned it, but she insisted.

Morning came. It was my time to go, I said my goodbyes one final time and left.

I walked away from the half burned cottage, away from the people who mattered. Sometimes I wished I hadn't left, looking back on it. But there was no stopping me. I was on a mission to kill.