Chapter 1

It was the cold season. Summer had abandoned us. Rain and snow fell down upon us. We hiked, almost getting caught several times. Buried deep into the woods of the a neighboring kingdom of Nephoria, we found an abandoned cottage. It was small and had fire damage, but it was enough for us to live our minuscule lives in. Enough for my pregnant wife to rest. There wasn't much we could do in the winter. I laid there. Day in and day out. Thinking about my parents, my people. All the lives lost in the Great War that was all my fault. I didn't talk much. To anyone. I wallowed in my pain. My loss. Mavis tried to talk to me. She tried to snap me out of it. But there seemed to be no end to the pain. It was like I was trapped in the middle of the Black Sea, and kept sinking downwards.

We survived the brutal winter, soon, spring came. It had been seven months since my kingdom fell. Since my parents were murdered. It's all I thought about. It consumed my soul, my mind, and my dreams.

I did my share of work, collecting wood for the fire, finding food. But then I returned to my corner cot on the floor. I was beginning to get skinnier and frail. I didn't eat much, nor sleep much. My sleep was taken over by nightmares. It was always the sight of my parents slit throat, and the sound of the children's screams as the castle fell.

Charles slept on a floor cot as well. It was agreed Mavis and Daniel would share the only bed. Charles protested, but was overruled. We went from a life of luxury to a life of survival, and I was to blame.

Mavis sold her jewelry she was wearing the day we left. That's the money we relied on. Daniel hunted in attempt to not use the money unless we absolutely had to.

I laid on my cot in mid day. My face was down. I felt Mavis gently shake my shoulder.

"Zander. It's midday, are you awake?" She said, standing over me.

"Yes."

"Will you come with me? I want to look for berries." She said.

"I don't want to." I said. I didn't want to speak to anyone. I just wanted to be alone. Speaking took all of my energy out of me.

"Well, I do. So please, come with me."

"Can't Daniel go with you?" I huffed.

"I don't want Daniel to go with me. I want you to. So get up. Now." She demanded.

"Mavis. I really don't want to." I said.

"Zander, I will not say it again. Get up. I'm nine months pregnant, and I don't want to go by myself. So get up. Now." She rose her voice.

I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to go outside. I didn't want to talk with her. But she needed me. I reluctantly pushed myself off the floor.

"Great. Grab your cloak and Daniel's sword. Just in case." She said.

I did as she said. The sunlight stung. I followed her into the woods. She carried a woven basket, a tattered cloak covered her. It was strange to see her like this. Her hair was shorter, she wore a plain blue dress. I was used to seeing her full of jewels and pearls. I have brought her down to nothing. She walked slow, with one hand on her stomach.

"The snow has finally melted." She said. The ground felt like soggy like wet bread.

"Yeah. Great." I said shortly.

"Zander. I know what happened was awful. But it wasn't your fault. We're not blaming you. No one is."

"But it is my fault. If I didn't go with him. If I didn't help him summon the dragon. We'd be king and queen, my parents wouldn't be dead, and your baby wouldn't be born in a busted cottage."

"You didn't know. I trusted him right away, remember?"

"Yeah, the only mistake you've ever made. I've made many."

"We're alive. You, me, Daniel, Charles. The baby. We're all alright. We made it out. We have a life here."

"What life? We're living in a half toasted cottage! You were royalty! You were a queen! I brought you to nothing. Less than nothing." I let my anger get the best of me.

"I am more than my title. So are you." She said.

"I think you should go home. Belmonte would be safe for you, all of you. You could be protected there."

"I'm not leaving you behind."

"Don't raise your baby in the woods. Go to your parents."

"I don't think you understand how important you are to me. I love you, I want you to be safe too. I don't know what exactly happened with you and Samuel, but it took a toll on you. I want to be here for you if you would let me."

My heart sank when she mentioned his name. He played me for a fool. He used me. He tricked me and broke my heart.

"You deserve better than this. Please consider going home." I begged.

"What would you do?" She said.

"I need to find Samuel. I need to kill him."

"Revenge isn't always the answer. It's alright to move on. To find happiness elsewhere." She said.

"I have to, Mavis. He ruined me. He ruined us."

"I am not ruined. Neither are you. Please. Do what makes you happy. That's what matters." She said.

She put her arms around me and hugged me tightly, despite her large stomach in the way.  She cared for me. I had so much appreciation and love for her. She tried to make me feel better, and helped me pull out of my deep slope I was in. She reminded me of what I needed to do. I needed to kill Samuel, slay the dragon, kill the Vendov king, and restore my kingdom.

I had to do it. Whatever it took.